TN: 13 Pattes Loup Butteaux, 99 Produttori Ovello

We were supposed to get together with another Finnish forumite MikkoR tonight but that was not meant to be so we ended up splitting one bottle from each of us, to be enjoyed separately, in the best Covid-19 fashion. Both bottles performed very well, both probably pretty close to their peaks at well. My memory tells me that 2013 was not a great vintage in Chablis but if that’s the the case then nobody sent a memo to Thomas Pico (and Francois Raveneau) as this is the best Chablis I’ve had in a while. Very clearly in the oak-fermented and ripe-fruited style but with massive energy and pleasantly low 12.5% ABV. If I could buy a case at the original 27€ per I would do it in a heartbeat.

• 2013 Domaine Pattes Loup Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (28.8.2020)
    Immediately after pop and pour this is singing like Bocelli. The nose is seriously generous and expressive: lemon with a hint of honey, very appropriate oak, roasted nuts and some smoke. Borderline haunting aromatics, really hard to stop sniffing. On the palate it has great concentration and a level of ripeness that just hits the bullseye for me. There is very good acidity and this tension that make it immensely drinkable and enjoyable with a lip-smacking sensation on the finish. Firmly textured yet rich in a way that quite few Chablis are. Very persistent on the finish, just goes on and on, and wonderfully savory and saline. Nothing less than a superb bottle.
  • 1999 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Ovello - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (28.8.2020)
    Altogether savory and quite mature on the nose with notes of sour red cherry, soy, decayed leaves, spices and tar. Vivid but with no youthful features. On the palate it sports a terrific balance with great proportions and a very lively feel. Super juicy, savory dark cherry fruit for days with attractive meaty and mushroomy notes. Beautifully gripping sticky tannins pave way to a very clean and fresh finish. Pretty seamless and harmonious, nothing sticking out really. At peak, I would say, but in no danger of going downhill.

Posted from CellarTracker

Great notes, Ikka. I’m a big Thomas Pico fan, love his Chablis. Have not had the '13, but his '14 and '15 Butteaux are superb. And that Produttori sounds fantastic. Cheers.

Lovely. The Pico Chablis are a treasure. Wish I had Produttori back that far. Drank all my 1990s bottle before I understood Nebbiolo.

Thanks for the notes. Agree about Pico, had the 14 Butteaux which was a knockout. I normally don’t like round and ripe Chablis but he treads the fine line very well.

Still waiting on my Produttori riservas!

1 Like