TN: '01 Chevillon - Nuits St George - Les Roncieres

Thanks. I thought I was losing it there for a while.

When on, I’ve often preferred the 2001 Chevillon’s to the 2002’s. Sometimes the 02’s seem a little too ripe and all about fruit, whereas the 2001 have more complexity. Of course, could just be a phase with regard to the 02’s.

Now that’s interesting, makes me want to bring out the case soon. Thanks.

Had a bottle of this on Sunday with chicken and morels in vin rouge over brown rice (rather than the classical vin jaune, and bread). Decanted 15 minutes before serving, and was fantastic from the start. Faded a wee bit after several hours, but was still quite fine. If the Roncieres is this good, can’t wait to try one of my LSG.

I had another bottle over the winter, with a couple of other 01 Nuits. The Mugneret-Gibourg Chaignots was first, and was the prettiest of the wines, and had the least stuffing. But such finesse. Then came the Roncieres. IIRC, that bottle needed a bit more time to show well than Sunday’s bottle did. But not as much time as the final wine, the Gouges Clos des Porrets. If I had any of those, I would wait 3 years, or perhaps more.

Thanks for the update, Lee. Note that I decanted mine ahead and it was consumed over a very leisurely evening. That may account for why it was more open.