'Tis the season... for Hatch chile

Hatch chile season is in full swing here. Roasted a few batches today.

2 Likes

Love it! Gotta get me some (unfortunately frozen and shipped). We still have a bit from last year, but great time to put those behind us. What’s your heat level? We mix milds and meds.

1 Like

Yeah, Wegman’s gets a bunch, and we just about missed it.
Got the last of some mediums at one Wegman’s today, and
some unknown heat ones at another.
I usually roast them and freeze them. This year I think I’ll
blanch them, blend them up and freeze the spoo to put in
chili etc. over the winter. We’ll see how that works out.

1 Like

I do 20-40 lb each year, about 1/4 mild, 1/2 medium, 1/4 hot. As you know, they freeze well!

1 Like

I’m going to miss New Mexico. We picked up the tradition from my hispanic buds each late summer for many years picking up boxes of just roasted Hatch or local and then peeling, chopping and freezing it at home. The local chile in northern New Mexico is much hotter than Hatch, I consider the medium Hatch to be on the mild side of medium and just about right but the “medium” Dixon is like Hatch hot (that terroir thing at work), buyer beware. Then we’d spend most of a Sunday processing them into 0.5 and 1 lb bags vacuum bags for the freezer. Got an average of 12 lb peeled and chopped per box and usually did two boxes. My wife wore gloves but I thought having my hands burn for a day or two was part of the experience.

2 Likes

I want to both smoke and roast mine. Should I smoke first then roast, or vice versa?

I guess you would try to add smoke flavor during roasting. You get a little smoke flavor roasting over hardwood charcoal. Could probably increase the smoke flavor by dialing down the heat to prolong roast time, and maybe adding some wood chips or pellets. Might trying adding smoke to a batch this weekend.

I should clarify- I have an electric smoker that only goes up the 250F, so it would have to be smoke in smoker, roast in oven.

Roasting is done to remove the skins, and imparts some flavor, but I think smoking would impart more flavor done with the skins removed or at least broken from roasting. I think you might want to roast, peel, and then smoke?

That’s what I was thinking. That’s what I’ll do!

I would think smoking the red chilis might make sense, a la ancho, but I’ve never seen green smoked, only roasted.

I like smoke. :sunglasses:

Our supermarket had hatch chilis and I bought about a pound. Any ideas?

You can make one batch of hatch chile salsa with one pound of chiles and 2 1/2 pounds of tomatoes + the other ingredients such as onion, cilantro, etc… Be sure and freeze a jar or two immediately since it is fresh with no preservatives.

You can also roast, peel, deseed and flash freeze into strips. Put in a quart sized freezer bag in the freezer and pull out as many strips as you need when you need them for dishes.

Are the chiles already roasted? If so, scrambled eggs with hatch chiles and jack cheese is a classic.

Top grilled cheeseburgers with chopped green chiles! Our most frequent dish with green chiles is Sunday morning scrambled eggs with a generous amount of green chile and cheese. Volume wise, most of our green chile ends up in green chile stew.

Assuming you’ve already roasted and peeled them, here’s a simple but classic New Mexican green chile stew we make over and over:

(This is 1/2 our normal recipe since you say you have 1 lb of chiles)

-Cube 1 lb boneless pork chops just cover with water and simmer 1 hour. Skim foam off periodically
-Add 1 lb chopped green chiles, 1 chopped small or 1/2 medium onion, 1/2 (14 oz can) canned tomatoes drained and chopped, 1 diced garlic clove, 1/2 teaspoon salt, add enough water to make a stew-like consistency, it’s ok to add a little extra water as some will evaporate in the next step
-Simmer 2 hours, covered
-To serve put a tablespoon or two of refried beans in a bowl, add the green chile stew, mix a little, and top with grated cheese

I think smoked green chiles would be awesome in a veggie burrito with potatoes, onion, carrots, broccoli, lettuce, tomatoes and cheese. Maybe guac too.

1 Like

Pork & chile stew is the classic use for Hatch chile. I use about 4 lb of pork shoulder cut into 2-inch cubes which are charred over high heat charcoal (but still raw inside). Combine the pork with 4-5 lb of peeled and coarsely chopped roasted hatch chile, and add chicken stock to not quite cover the pork and chile. Cook in dutch oven (covered) for about 2 hours in 350F oven. Remove and add 1 russet potato cut into 3/4-inch cubes and 2 large grilled onions, coarsely chopped, and cook for another 2 hours or until done. A TBS or two of masa added in the last hour or so can be good. Freezes well.

The grilled flavor of the pork and onions comes through in the finished stew. I use mild chile for this to avoid it being too “hot” for some palates. Can always add a chopped medium or hot hatch when serving if desired.

Hatch chile cheeseburger is another classic. I use one hot, one medium (in strips) on each burger, with a combo of sharp white cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese (thin slices overlapping). Lettuce and red onion on the top part of the bun. The Portal Cafe in Portal AZ (Chiricahua Mtns in SE corner of the state, bordering NM) makes a good Hatch chile cheeseburger.

2 Likes

These two green chile recipes sound great. My wife’s family is Hispanic from southern Colorado, and pork green chile was always a staple of every get together. “Nana’s”
recipe called for braised pork chops (or loin) shredded with lots of chile, chopped tomatoes and spices, thickened with flour. Very simple but sublime. No beans or potatoes! Hand-made tamales and sopapillas rounded out the meal.

3 Likes

I completed my roasting and smoking. I put them under the broiler Wednesday and peeled them, then last night I put them in the smoker at low heat (~150F) for an hour with a small amount of cherry and pecan wood. They came out great! Very sweet and smoky now. Yum!

2 Likes