Time to treat ourselves. Open a precious bottle

Seems like if celebrating Pi day, the perfect thing to open would be Foillard 3.14…

We opened a bottle of Tignanelllo in honor of the brave people of Italy in these difficult times. Salute.

No question, but I don’t have any, and besides, the Brunello will go better with the pizza pi(e)! [cheers.gif]

They make fabulous wine!!!

1982 La Lagune - top shoulder fill, corked soaked and crumbly, wine sherry liked and seems to have been heat damaged (picked a few of these us a couple years ago … :frowning:. )

1998 Client … much better condition (this I bought new and have been cellaring (when my '00 and onwards wines are ready my cellar will be much more trustworthy …) this is a nice wine starting to show some secondary characteristics. Enjoyable and glad I have a couple left

Stay safe everyone !

Love this idea! I’ll step things up, but tonight was…

2016 Domaine Coursodon “La Sensonne” Saint-Joseph - great wine, intensely dark, lovely meat/game notes, soft tannins, and a great finish.

Opened a 1994 Chave Hermitage. So much iron, savory olive and dark cherry on the nose and palate. Delicious.

1999 Livera Chapelle Chambertin tonight. Might be a bit corked but even so the bottle was quickly gone.

After the Chave was gone we popped a 2001 Dunn Napa Valley to go with a roast pork shoulder dinner. 2003 Suduiraut complemented the cake baked for dessert.

2010 Paloma Merlot because I expected it to be at or near peak. Maybe a little past but very nice at pop n pour. No reason to hold. Drink up

2011 Juge
2005 Maybach

The sheer stupidity of people is far more worrisome to me than Coronavirus. So with that I drink to not buying toilet paper to last me until 2025.

2005 Araujo estate cab. Nice. Needs air and can be held a couple of years at least. I have been really enjoying my 2002-2095 Araujos.

My evening started curiously similar to Jeff’s. I opened a 1964 Trotanoy with much anticipation. The color looked almost too good to be true…which it unfortunately was. The bottle was fairly obviously heat damaged.

I pulled a back-up bottle of 1982 Latour A Pomerol. I’ve really loved previous bottles from 1955, 1970, and 1971, but this was my first chance to open a 1982 example. I thought there was a fecal (I initially assumed brett) element as I poured a small taste after opening. This quickly blew off (apparently NOT brett). With some air this evolved into one of the most exotic and complex Bordeaux’s I’ve ever encountered. Imagine a 1982 Pichon Lalande mixed with some Leroy “pixie dust”/Vosne spice and some classic Pomerol elements. I’ve never described a Bordeaux as “Burgundian”, but there is a first time for everything. This bottle showed right at the peak of maturity, which is actually more evolved than my last two bottles of the 1970. The fill was between mid and high shoulder; perhaps a more pristine bottle would be too young?

Piper Rare 2002
Seems strange to be opening Champagne at this time, but I needed a white. It is delicious and so easy to drink, in a perfect place now. Medium on the continuum between Taittinger and Krug, there is something joyful about it rather than a serious sipping Champagne. Definitely happier after we had the bottle.

I can’t tell if it’s Earl, Karl, or Kari-which one is it?

Great idea Robert. I’m definitely not holding back right now. I have all of my kids from college back safely and they are looking at an extended spring break, we are going to spend some quality time together! Julian Haart and Willi Schaefer for my daughter, and Champagne for my son, and I will be popping some red Burgundy. This morning we will be listening to our church on the internet! Followed by some nice Champagnes! I pray for this country and the world, that we can get through this…

Ha, his name is Karl. He’s nearly 14 months old. His name is in honor of the original Karl Lawrence Wine Cellars.

His legal American Kennel Club name is: Karl Lawrence To Kalon Cabernet

Not as earth-shattering as, say, finding a cure for Coronavirus, but this villages wine, the last of a 3-pack purchased at and stored since release showed the best during a bored, stay-at-home Saturday evening.

2002 Domaine Robert Groffier Gevrey-Chambertin

FE1ACE95-2786-41AF-905A-91DD7B7DC8AD.jpeg

1986 Cheval Blanc last night from an OWC, 9 to go! Deep garnet; complex and savory bouquet, with notes of dried plums, black truffle, briar patch, cigar box and crushed rocks. Medium bodied, with great depth and precision, and a surprisingly (for an 86) silky texture. Very classic in style, and unrecognizable compared to modern St. Emilion fruit bombs. I loved it!

I am with you. Have a 3L of the same wine. Probably open it sometime around 2030?