Time to Invest in Wine

Or the other way around – you end up sneaking bottle after bottle until, whoops, it’s off to Juco for the kids.

1 Like

10% commission on sale is just cost of business, you have to factor it in. No different to a high % stamp duty.

Wine is a good investment if you can get reliable access to investment tier wines. Like I said, from a risk-balanced perspective, I wouldnt feel anywhere near as confident about anything in my portfolio returning the same leve of RoI you can get off, say, a lafleur/carmes haut brion first tranche allocation. Downside is generally much less as well - Netflix can do an Enron over night and my shares become worthless, you’ll see much less comparative volatility in wine.

Which comes back to my point - the returns in wine wont be as good as, say, buying Tesla 5 years ago, but the risk/return point is different compared to equities.

I agree. I doubt too many industry funded comparisons account for storage costs for wine and the fact that most wine is bought at retail and sold for wholesale prices. Want inflation protection, buy TIPs. Want something to drink, buy wine.

Sure. I think everyone on this board does understands that. But your average person who, to Howard’s point, sees an article on investing in wine and suddenly thinks it’s a great idea- they likely don’t.

Which gets back to some people make money in wine- people who understand the risks and true costs, and have good sources. Most don’t have those things.

Yeah. I suppose I dont class myself as a particularly sophisticated person so I dont think you have to be a sophisticated investor to get into wine :smiley:

That being said, I agree, platforms like Vinovest make it too easy for people to invest badly in wine. Some of the suggestions and directions they drive people are just baffling. Well, not so baffling considering their 2.35% (?) AMC :slight_smile:

And, who know which wines to purchase. I doubt someone’s favorite $50 Merlot that tastes great young but does not age well will appreciate in value while wines like Monte Bello likely will appreciate a good bit.

Agreed. But, when the articles discuss appreciation rates vs. returns on stocks do they take this cost and others into account?

1 Like

probably none, but to be fair, if you’re investing based on reading a summary article without down your own research and critical thinking of it, you (arguably) deserve to lose your shirt IMHO.