Three White Grapes

Focusing on white only (excluding bubbly and sweet):

• In cellar: 20% Chenin behind Chardonnay at 35%. Sémillon hovers at 5% and I don’t own any Pinot Blanc.

• Consumed: 13% Chenin behind Chardonnay at 28%. Sémillon with a lowly 1% and Pinot Blanc below 1%.

One of the best wines I’ve had this year that really blew me away was a Matthiasson Semillon from 2016. Not sure if it was just the night that we had it or it was with a perfect food pairing but I want to get my hands on another to find out.

Thanks to all of the people who have participated so far.

Clearly among this cohort, Chenin Blanc is by far the favorite. I have had quite a bit of dry Loire Chenin. I agree that Joly’s famous (and expensive) Coulee de Serrant can be great but is horribly inconsistent. A 1990 about 10 years ago was a very great bottle. I’ve had about half a dozen other vintages, ranging from almost as good as the 1990 to undrinkable. I agree that Clos de la Bergerie is consistently good.

I’ve had great Hunter Valley Semillon, but for some reason it is hard to find in the U.S. Oddly, I have more Semillon in my basement than either Pinot Blanc or Chenin. This is because I represent an Argentine producer who makes a great one at a very reasonable price. Much as I love and admire Pinot Blanc, I don’t even have one in my book at this time. We gave up our last Alsace agency about 5 years ago, sales were simply far too hard.

However I am more of a fan of Pinot Blanc. Until I was introduced (by the board!) to Terlano ‘Vorberg’ I used Pinot Blanc as an everyday alternative to Chardonnay. However ‘Vorberg’ is great wine. Period. I am going to be diving into the Alto Adige more for other examples and when in Europe will be looking for more examples, especially with bottle age.

Thanks again.

Dan Kravitz

Rounding error. [snort.gif]