Three 1999 Hermitages

Jaboulet used no more than 25% new oak around 1990, often less, much less than most celebrated Bordeaux and Burgundies. After several years there is absolutely no oak detectable in these LaChapelles. With the Frey regime it’ s certainly different, but the quality of vintages 2009 and younger is hardly debatable - one may like the style or not. I would also prefer less oak, but I do not call a great wine “bad” just due to that.
I bought cases of old LCh, now I buy 2-3 bottles, also due to the price, but I won’t at all when the wines were bad.
Imho style is one thing, quality is another …

Good thing you know a thing or 2 ‘bout them wines.

Otherwise you’re nuthin’ but a point-chasin’ label-prejudiced you! :wink:

I tend to agree with you on the Vogue, as I’ve never had one that was better than mediocre and some that were just plain awful. I don’t agree on the La Chapelle. I’ve had 1990 Chave and La Chapelle side by side several times over the past 25 years and, while I’ve preferred the Chave more frequently, it hasn’t always been my favorite and the decision has always been a close one. I’ve also had each wine separately on several other occasions and have found a lot more bottle variation with the La Chapelle than with the Chave.

Yeah, I think that’s just bad luck… Though the LLC analogy is apposite in the sense that it’s a decade from full maturity. For a great vintage that’s also fully mature, I prefer the 1972.

The 1983 for me is not so much oaky as a bit roasted and overripe in profile, sort of the precursor of the 1990 stylistically. I like the 1982 much better!

I wonder if my “oaky” is your “roasted”, but drunk next to the seductive 83 Chave the 83 Jaboulet was notably uninteresting and one note. Also, as someone very clever once said to me, the amount of oak used in making the wine doesn’t necessarily determine how oaky that wine is.

On Friday night a few of us did a Zoom tasting of the 2018 Arnoux Lachaux 2018 village wines and the Corvee Pagets, and while I know based on the tech sheet the Corvee Pagets (or any of Charles’ wines) doesn’t have much new oak…it was pretty oaky. On the other hand, the Hautes Maizieres next to it was absolutely delicious with no traces of new oak.

I think a sort of aromatic “creaminess” that evokes new oak can sometimes come from volatile acidity. I remember that first clicking for me in Henri Bonneau’s cellar (hard to find older barrels than there). And I think that, plus the roasted (in the '83 Chapelle, it’s really espresso roast/prune) aromas, are more likely the source of what I think we’re both talking about in this case than an appreciable percentage of new wood. But, whatever its source, we agree about the wine.

Had an '82 Chapelle a month ago that was outstanding. I can’t agree with the dates of '79 to 2014 being the slump for Jaboulet.
Have always enjoyed '82 & '85 with '83 being less consistent (I think might be dependent on which bottling run), but can show as well as either. I think post '94 or '97 began the slide. I know a few folks with great experience that believe the '03 will be great. Glad to still have some of those wines from the '80’s.

Charlie gave me the same grief a while ago on Instagram when I said '90 La Chapelle can be great, but hard to convince someone who hasn’t had a great one, that they exist. I do have the palate of a yak, of course.

I know it’s a thread drift, but anyone had '99 Bernard Chave Hermitage lately?

“Foursquare and Monolithic” is exactly how I’d describe 1990 Jaboulet “La Chapelle”. And the 1989 is just a little weak, not as firm as it should be given the vintage. I’ve done the blind tasting vs the 1990 Chave a number of times, it’s never close. Chave made an amazing and multi-layered Hermitage in 1990, Jaboulet not so much…