Thoughts on a 1964 vintage wine for my bro-in-law 50th?

Is the Conterno Nebbiolo declassed ?

64 is a great year in burgundy and showing very well now.

I don’t know the vintage for some of those wines, but 1964 was one of the great years ever in Rioja and I haven’t had any bad ones. That particular winery went through some changes, particularly in the 1980s, but in the 1960s it was still one of the old-school classic Rioja producers so if you like the style, you may be happy with that choice. But as mentioned, there is likely some bottle variation. However, wouldn’t that be the case with many of the wines from 1964?

No. There was a Monfortino and two Barolo bottlings (1964 was pre-Cascina Francia), a normale and a special label with full-frontal nudity on it (I am not making this up!), as I recall…

I concur with 1964 Burgundy and Rioja, but the selection offered so far for Barolo sets a high bar that only Rioja might beat on a QPR basis .

True 64 burgundy is very expensive. Cheap compared to 62 though :slight_smile:

So what is the Conterno Nebbiolo Riserva ?

The 1964 Ygrec [d’Yquem “Y”] is reputedly to-die-for.

It shows up at auction every now and then.

And the Pessacs - Haut Brion Blanc, Laville Haut Brion, Smith Haut Laffite Blanc, Chevalier Blanc, etc - are also said to be magnificent.

There was an old Hedonist Gazette article on the 1964 Blancs, but it looks like it might have disappeared behind the pay wall?

Who knows, but possibly terrific. G. Conterno also made Barbaresco back in the day, and I had a 1958 Barbaresco Riserva a couple of years ago that knocked my socks off…

Klapper my friend, it ain’t about cash, it’s about class. My bro, love 'em like a real brother perhaps from an uglier mother, but he drinks new world cab and Malbec. It’s his wife, my sis, that has the great palate (plus she’s blessed with my looks and charm). I drop big for her, for him, no four figures baby! Liking those $100 Barolos on my list above. Some nice other choices on rare wine company as well in the $200s, much appreciated.

I know it was you, Alfie. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!

Since your Bro drinks New World Cab,IMO it would be a waste to throw one of those sublime Baroli at him,rather try the 64 Haut Brion,LMHB and see what happens…

Bill is probably right. Surely nothing bad will happen with either of those, assuming a sound bottle…

Most right bank wines were very good; usual suspects brilliant. Trotanoy, Petrus, Cheval etc. Also VCC, Evangile and at a lower price point, Nenin and Pavie.

Thank you!

My pleasure!

Agreed with Bill B. If your BIL is normally drinks new world I would go for a right bank wine.

I bought a collection from a guy for whom '64 was obviously an important vintage. Probably 5 or 6 cases of a 10 case lot were '64s.
Other than Mouton and Lynch-Bages, I haven’t had a bum wine yet.
Most have been really good to great, some have been outstanding.
Latour, Cheval Blanc, Ausone, Margaux and Figeac have been excellent.
Brane Cantenec, Cos, Lafite, Pontet Canet…really good.
The best '64 burg I’ve had is probably DRC Richebourg, although a Chanson RSV comes really close.

If your BIL is new world guy, try to find the '64 Charles Krug Vintage Selection; still drinking really well, and should be relatively cheap.

Thanks to everyone. Some really solid advice here.

Turning 50 in 2 weeks myself…Picked up a bottle of 1964 Fratelli Berteletti Sizzano from Chambers Street wines for $49.99 a couple of months back to pop on the big night…

+1. I’ve had a bunch of these and felt a commonality of dustiness in a grippy way. HB was my fav.

…but it’s been a few years.

Bill - to follow up, if they opted to put Nebbiolo on the label when it’s declassified barolo, then which is it? Either way it’s mine and should arrive in time to allow me to let it settle before I pop it for my day. Thanks again for your help. Oh, and Greg at RWC was very nice.

Cindy, there is some misunderstanding about declassification in the Piemonte. It is not common. Many, if not most, Barolo and Barbaresco producers also bottle “lesser” wines such as Barbera, Dolcetto and Nebbiolo. There are many scenarios for this. The lesser wines may be made from younger vines not deemed ready for the grand vin, or perhaps from purchased grapes. However, in 1964, G. Conterno made both its top wine, Monfortino, and two bottlings of a normale Barolo, so there was likely nothing left to declassify! Since the Nebbiolo bottling at that address is no longer done, I know of no way to learn the history of the grapes in that wine. I am going on the extraordinary age-worthiness of almost everything made by that producer…