Thomas 2014 Release

Wow, that’s a cringe-worthy site.

Re: Thomas, I’m definitely in. My fav discovery last year thanks to this board.

Can someone PM me how t get on the list? I may actually have some money by the time I get an allocation.

This info can be found elsewhere so I don’t think it’s a secret. Write a letter to the following address:

John Thomas
P.O. Box 48
Carlton, OR 97111

Or call the number listed above and leave a message with your name and address, that is how I got on. Only problem I ever had was wondering when the letter and wine will show up but always happy when they do! (so not really a problem) [cheers.gif]

As long as you get your check to him before the allocation is supposed to ship you’ll be fine.

It’s so hard to sign up, there’s no wait list to go through.

You can email him as well which is probably easier.

Yes, totally tongue in cheek. :astonished:

We should all applaud the Wagners for ‘redefining Oregon pinot’

In for a Joe 5er but wish I could afford more.

Yes, it’s quite easy. I have no idea where claims of “silliness” and “exclusivity” come from. Last I heard, there was no wait list.

There is no date. My understanding is that it is ‘first-come, first-served.’ That being said, 654 cases is a high production year for John.

In this age of instant gratification and compulsive 24/7 mobile connectedness, there’s something quaint and reassuring about this low-key process. It’s really very civilized and simple. I know others may disagree but I enjoy waiting for the offer to come in the mail, the tactile feel of opening the envelope and the already-stamped reply device, filling out the check (how often do you do that anymore?) and then waiting for the wines to arrive. I’ve never had a problem with fulfillment or delivery.

Well said!

Marcus Goodfellow » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:40 pm
Hype or not, the Thomas wines do represent an outlier that I am happy to support. The world needs more Thomas and less Elouan.

I’m with Marcus on this one. Happy to support the likes of Thomas…and Goodfellow for that matter.

Re: price, according to my records this is a small increase ($20-30 more for 1/2 case?) this year compared to last. With shipping included this is a very fair price relative to overall quality IMO. I’ll continue to buy every year.

Lol…no doubt!

Wow, I hadn’t seen the Elouan site. Sigh.

Big plans for Elouan.

“After selling Meiomi for such a startling amount — a price that did not include any land and facilities — Wagner is concentrating on growing his Elouan brand, a pinot noir that is derived from grapes along Oregon’s coastal regions. He believes Elouan can grow into “hundreds of thousands of cases” and could eventually rival Meiomi or Jackson Family Wines’ La Crema in the premium pinot noir space.”

Drifting back… in for a Joe 5 pack.

A local wine shop that gets a large allocation of Thomas said yesterday they’re almost sold out on pre-orders for the 2014. Also, I learned recently from someone reputable that JT doesn’t blend any of his barrels, perhaps explaining all the comments about bottle variation with Thomas. I wonder if there’s a conscious decision regarding where/to whom he sends the ‘great’ bottles. Each barrel can’t be equally good can it?

Every barrel takes on its own personality…this I know for sure. Even same cooper, same forest/toast…every everything.
It would strike me as odd if John bottled the wines singly, and did not take the opportunity to call them out as such. I am not sure, without any bottling/labelling distinction, why he would do this.