They make very decent wine

Having provided vital assistance with a haka from the couch in Saturday’s All Blacks victory over France in le rugby, we celebrated by pulling the cork on these two. This is not just the prophylactic-thin veneer of respect shown by the victor to the vanquished.

2002 Domaine William Fevre Chablis Grand Cru Bougros Cote de Bouguerots

Light golden with green tints. Citrus and honey with a touch of pepper. On the fullish palate some nice gras accompanying the grapefruit, sea shells and minerals. Gently oaky on the finish which has quite sufficient acid. Delicious. Pass me half a dozen Fines des Claires please.

2006 Domaine Armand Rousseau Chambertin-Clos de Beze

A beautiful bouquet of lifted florals and red tending-to-dark fruits with a few savoury components showing. Concentrated sweet fruit and structural elements on the palate. I didn’t encounter any imbalance with tough or astringent tannins which can be a feature with 2006s, just proper firm Grand Cru grip. Nothing over-played here. A lovely elegant Rousseau Beze with bags of life left.

with wines like that even I might be induced to watch rugby.
alan

It’s nice to read about a 02 Fevre that wasn’t pre-moxed. I’ve sure run into many of them.

Alan – If you were coming to rugby fresh then a very good bottle indeed would be needed to ease you past the obscure rules at scrum time and the fact that every referee applies them differently. The rest of the game is pretty exciting.
Lou – For some reason I have quite a bit of 2002 Fevre GC. All stored in UK since purchase and only recently started shipping out to Hong Kong. 0/8 pre-mox in my favour so far but I am sure that will change.