The wine thief

For my part, I would not normally have bothered replying except for the fact I have observed this pattern a number of times in my career- and once in particular in the world of wine as discussed in my own post. People who have a driving need to create a publicly seen self that is driven by material possessions are some of the most dangerous individuals you can ever encounter. And so I will freely admit I have a very small tolerance for what I perceive as romanticizing their behavior. And one’s perceptions may vary.

The suicide of course brings in a terrible aspect to it for which there must be some automatic regret- but not necessarily compassion. Life is a precious thing and everyone has the potential to change their ways if time allows. The taking of life is the most selfish and ungrateful thing one can do- it is always a horrid thing, whether perpetrated on another or on one’s self.

Well, to me he sounded like a dishonest and superficial creep from his college days, and though being a dishonest and superficial creep does not warrant a death penalty, it is difficult for me to muster much sadness for him when there are so many innocent people who suffer so much in this world. Just don’t have enough sympathy to spread around quite that far, perhaps to my discredit. And though the article does not glorify him, even mentioning the bits about Butch Cassidy and a hero in this age of inequality makes the article seem sillier than it should…the author is certainly trying to add an element to the story to sensationalize it, and it is the worse for it. A creep stole from a very rich person. I guess that is supposed to be better or st least, if not romantic, than at least more titilating than stealing from a member of the middle class. Seems like TV movie material…you heard it here first.

Well, my comment sounds more cold blooded than I think I usually am. Hmmm…maybe it was that premoxed 2010 Carillon I experienced this week that made me mean.

I’ve never understood the “ungrateful” comment. Life is precious, yes. But for most people contemplating suicide they do not have the ability to grasp that.

Is it too difficult to imagine why that might be?

The “ungrateful” comment is based on the fact that suicide is a horrible thing to do to the people who love you. It is as selfish act, often accompanied by mental illness.

Not difficult at all I will confess. I have seen a number of friends commit suicide in my life.

My belief is based in religion- which has an impact- and do note that I am speaking in the aftermath. If someone I knew or even suspected to be suicidal were to reach out to me to be there, I would not be talking in these terms or even bringing religion into it FWIW.

The older I get, the more I see people rebound from unspeakable circumstances. So many of them have rich and rewarding lives after. I would do just about anything to help any individual person get off the ledge, but that does not change the fact that once the deed is done it is a terrible thing. Mostly because it is the only thing that cannot be undone in any measure.

All offered IMHO.

Good to know that if you steal from the right people, some don’t consider it a crime. Sorry, I will save my sympathies for those that deserve it.

What “liberal crap”? I must have missed that part.

Yes, I missed that as well. [swearing.gif]

Premox will do that to you, not to mention cork as well.

Or more to the point, who talks like that. Those words weren’t written by the author of the article; they were a quote from one of DeMeyer’s college classmates…who does not sound like he would be a very enjoyable fellow to chat with!

– Matt

I guess you don’t read the Times much.