The Tyranny of the 100 point scale, Pt. 498

What a concept. WTF is wrong with them, they must be snobs. Conform and bow at the altar of the 100 point scale. Parker power lives! neener

I understand wanting to drink a “100 point wine” out of intellectual curiosity. But in the context of this tasting (and other tastings I’ve attended), when people find out a wine has been rated 100 points, then they often assume it is in fact a “perfect wine” and they tend to clamor for it. In other words, the 100 point rating immediately colors their impression of the wine before they even taste it.

The wine in question–the 1990 Montrose–was an excellent wine. A “wow plus” in my book, but not an “ay carumba.” But when people heard it was a “perfect” wine, I could see how that affected their view of the wine…

Bruce

Bruce,

One of my favorite things to talk about when working in the tasting room at Fess Parker are pooints - how they taste; the aromas they exhibit, etc . . . [soap.gif]

I truly and honestly tell people that you can’t taste ‘points’ or ‘gold medals’ or anything else - just what’s in the glass.

That said, I can understand the argument of wanting to try a wine advertised as a 100 point wine from a curiousity standpoint . . .

And Randy is correct - most consumers are lemmings and are attracted to things that others like. Period.

Cheers!

I love it when I am at a trade tasting and someone hears that there is a “95+” rated wine. The whole room shifts and runs over to said table where the coveted bottle of “X” is, leaving the entire floor for me to roam about, unbothered and w/o bumping elbows in a room packed full of thirsty onlookers. Gotta love the point hounds for making my perusings so much more easier. /salute