The swallows in San Juan Capistrano - the Falltacular 2015 thread

Thank you Frank!!! A great event. I was skeptical about the self pouring but it actually prevented log jams in the dining room.

Looking forward to next year - it will be my sixth!

Notes everyone? Thoughts on the wines? I know I’m [training.gif] for everyone, but really… [grin.gif]

Mike G, I told you I wouldn’t leave you hanging.

Note: I didn’t write anything down so I didn’t get super detailed. I probably tasted 30 more wines but there’s limited storage capacity, if you know what I mean.

FALLTACULAR 2015 - FMIII in the OC (2/24/2015)

• 2010 Bailiwick Wines Cabernet Franc - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    Cab Franc purist rejoice, this is right on for a CF. May not be a crowd pleasure but wine geeks will appreciate the fresh green bell pepper and spice jalapeño nose and palate.
  • 2012 Bailiwick Wines Pinot Noir Borderline - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Marin County
    I quickly ran through the '12 PN line up with the winemaker. All of them are terrific and this one had just a little something extra. Great QPR
  • 2012 Big Basin Vineyards Roussanne Homestead Block - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Winner winner! Beautiful dark golden color. There’s a thread of musk and clover spice throughout the palate. This wine has everything, acid, weight, balance. Killer.
  • 2008 Arcadian Syrah Hommage à Max - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley
    Just grabbed a quick taste before I was pulled away. I thought this was excellent.
  • 2010 Core Elevation Sensation Alta Mesa Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County
    Gregg graciously filled my glass for me as I was stranded behind the grill with nothing to drink. Very dark, concentrated, ripe dark plum. Thick on the palate. Big wine. Very tasty.
  • 2012 Domaine de la Côte Pinot Noir Estate Sta. Rita Hills - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills
    Of the three '12 this showed slightly riper and dark but still reserve by typical SRH standards. Drink well right now.
  • 2012 Domaine de la Côte Pinot Noir Bloom’s Field - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills
    I couldn’t tell a difference between the La Cote and Bloom and they were the first two wines I tasted for the day. I did them side by side. Very reserve fruit profile, oak and/or stem dominate at this point. Needs 3 more years and will be an AFWE favorite, no question.
  • 2012 Domaine de la Côte Pinot Noir La Côte - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills
    I couldn’t tell a difference between the La Cote and Bloom and they were the first two wines I tasted for the day. I did them side by side. Very reserve fruit profile, oak and/or stem dominate at this point. Needs 3 more years and will be an AFWE favorite, no question.
  • 2012 Dunstan Chardonnay Durell Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County
    I was walking Mike through the chardonnay scale and looking for something with more weight and malo influence. This fit the bill with a creamier and heavier mouthfeel than the leaner chards. It is by no means over the top, aka cougar juice, just a fuller chardonnay with broader shoulders.
  • 2013 Harrington Lagrein Berardo Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    Very dark, reminds me of a dolcetto. This is approachable right now. I have a bottle of this and will spend more time with it later.
  • 2013 Harrington Nebbiolo - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    Wow, this is a nice Nebbiolo. You’d never guess california. This needs time in the cellar and has the structure to easily age. Saving this for a pasta night, no doubt. Excellent effort.
  • 2013 Poe Wines Chardonnay Ferrington Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley
    Another excellent effort, this is always one of my favorite Chardonnays. Super clean.
  • 2013 Rhys Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley
    OK, true confessions. I never really enjoyed the early vintages of this wine. Rhys is obviously doing something special with this vineyard. The nose on this wine is RIDICULOUS. Soft mouthfeel. I’m not even going to speculate on the drinking window. It’s great now with air.
  • 2012 Riverain Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville
    Another winner here, awesome. Classic Napa cab with big structure wrapped with cassis.
  • 2012 Sojourn Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Georges III Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford
    Don’t open this, the tannins will ripe your tongue to pieces. I love this wine, might be WOTN, and I’m not a cab guy. It has everything. Blue and black fruit, huge structure, good acid, huge finish. Special.
  • 2002 Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    Fun to try a TC with some age on it. I really enjoyed this with the berries notes blending in with the very soft tannins. Drink now.
  • 2014 Tercero Mourvedre Rosé - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County
    This was a barrel sample I lifted and took home, guess I’ll return the lab bottle to Larry next time I see him. Disclosure: this is our house rosé for the last 3 years, it’s great.

As with the last vintage, palate is dominated by fresh cut peaches. Delicious. We’ll be ordering some as soon as he gets it into bottle.

Posted from CellarTracker
IMG_6618.jpg

Auction countdown

All in all, I dug the wines I tried. Didn’t see that Big Basin Roussanne - bummed since I dig that variety. I did enjoy the Bailiwick Cab Franc, and as Brig said, I’m sure it wasn’t a ‘crowd pleaser’ but I dug the funk and green streak. I also really enjoyed the Harrington Nebbiolo - rose petals and spice and TANNIN! Would love to revisit in about 5 to 10 years. I liked the Rivers Marie Chards that Mike mentioned above, with the Theriot slightly nudging out the other one . . . and I don’t even drink much Chard! The Arcadian Hommage a Max was in a great place and should have gone back and grabbed a glass to go with some of the grilled meat!

There were a number of syrahs and pinots that I tried that just didn’t ‘float my boat’. Seemed to be a bit thin and lacking ‘it’ - however you want to define ‘it’. Yep, some of these, but not all, were in the IPOB camp. I do believe that sometimes a winery can push things too much in terms of trying to ‘avoid ripeness’ and end up with a wine with, say, aromatic character but no real ‘soul’. Not sure if that makes sense or not, but that’s how I felt.

All in all, a great day and cannot wait for the 10th Anniversary edition next year!

Cheers!

Larry - makes total sense. 100% why you shouldn’t make wine with an agenda even if you really, really, really want to be one of the cool kids.

Frank - my apologies I didn’t get to making a donation and send in some support down this year. I got lost in family and business. Congrats on putting on a great event again, you’ve built something beautiful.

Thanks Ian. Yep, I just continue doing what I do and don’t worry much about ‘agendas’ . . .

We missed you and your wines this year - was really hoping to taste your 14 Rose. Your 13 was a standout for me last year.

Cheers!

Oh…and…lesson learned…be more careful on the Friday night…was a little rough Saturday morning. But Diane dragged me out for a long walk at the Dana Point State Park and Marina…that helped!! The location of the hotel this year was perfect for out of towners- being right across the PCH from the beach.

I’ll send a few things down, Larry. I hear your getting into the albarino game.

He is, with what I daresay is a promising start, Ian!

Mike