The Rewards of Inventorying Your Cellar

It’s been a good five years since I last went through our offsite and updated everything. I took my time yesterday and had the literal dream come true: I found a unicorn bottle I didn’t even know I owned:

Not only that, I found I owned 2 bottles of the 08 as well! I’ve been holding these for years and had no idea!

What’s the best unexpected bottle you’ve uncovered?

4 Likes

That’s awesome! My best ‘wait, I have a bottle of this wine?’ discovery was 1998 Palmer in 2019.

2 Likes

I didn’t follow through long enough with this, but I did use the early max quarantine era to do a cellar audit, and I started posting tasting notes about some of the wines I discovered hadn’t been in my inventory, for good and for not so good.

I did a bit of this last weekend and found two bottles of Allemand Reynard that I did not know I had, a bottle of 2012 Winston Churchill I thought I’d already drank, and realized I really, really need to drink more white burgundy and Oregon chard as my bottle count is starting to get a little higher than my drink rate warrants.

1 Like

That thread gave me some dread - I, too, have some bottles of 07 Copain Kisers and was wondering about them. Three more years can’t have helped - time to queue em up…

1 Like

My guess is that they are perfectly fine. My complaint was never that they had turned bad, it was just that they never ascended (IMO) into any particular level of complexity that I would have expected from a mature bottle of a flagship pinot.

2 Likes

The reverse issue also occurs when you inventory–thinking you have three or four bottles of an important wine, and finding that you can only locate one (or none).

2 Likes

Because of my previously chaotic purchasing “strategy”, thoroughly inadequate “record keeping”, and the nature of my offsite storage arrangement, I didn’t really have an inventory accounting system. As a result, when I finally had adequate storage at home and was able to unbox everything, I found lots of good stuff. On the “most exciting” short list were: three bottles of '09 Keller G-Max (I thought I had one), multiple vintages of of Jamet Cote-Rotie, a half case of '09 Clos des Ducs, and two bottles of '96 Bachelet Charmes-Chambertin.

1 Like

Not quite “mine” but over the last few months I found a bottle of 1998 Chateau Margaux and an “extra” bottle of 1996 Penfolds Grange in my late father’s cellar.

1 Like

Funny, I’m missing two bottles…

1 Like

Given today’s prices…(though I was relatively sure I did still have it), a 2016 Egon Muller Kabinett

1 Like

That’s normally what happens with me, I will log things in reliably but take things out with the intention of recording it the next day, which occasionally doesn’t happen.

1 Like

This is one of the main reasons I photograph every bottle I open. It’s a reminder in my iPhone camera roll to debit inventory even if I don’t write a tasting note.

5 Likes

Not me but a buddy recently found two bottles of 99 Leroy Musigny buried deep he didn’t know he had.

1 Like

Not worth finding unless it’s a case. :cheers:

Thought I had only 1, and I found three 2012 Roumier MSD 1er Bussiere!

Sadly, CT also says I have an 09’ Dujac Gevrey 1er Combottes that has never turned up. Best guess is I opened it at a tasting and never checked it off CT inventory. Hope springs eternal so I keep it in there…

4 Likes

During the Costco great 2000 bdx dump I got 12 bottles of Haut Bages Liberal (i think they were 17.00) I put then in a bdx wooden box for years, while moving and rearranging one time I discovered that underneath the 6 on top were 6 bottles of 2000 Meyney that I have NO recollection of buying or any memory of Costco ever selling Meyney…or how much I paid.

2 Likes

Dun dun dun!!