The piece of cookware that changed your life

I gotta make a list…my top ten things that changed my culinary life…

1. My first honing steel. (It made me more knife-agnostic because I can hone crap knives, even!)

2. First large saucepan.

3. Tagine.

4. Weber grill.

5. Cuisinart…man, it made so many things easier that I had been doing by hand!

6. Salad spinner - I like spinning my cleaned vegetables more dry.

7. Blender, for everything from pesto to margaritas (yeah, sometimes I blend drinks.)

8. Gas stove-top.

9. Mortar and pestle.

10. Sorry to be trendy - I love my sous vide because it helps me coordinate many serving time windows.

This was a tough one, there are lots of good choices. But in the end I’m going with my Zojirushi rice cooker. It is such a basic perfect piece of equipment. Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

This.

Replicator. Really cuts down on prep and cooking times

Can you be an explicator for “Replicator”…what is it?

It sounds foreboding.

Think Star Trek

Cast iron skillet

Mine only spits out tea, Earl Grey, hot.

Thanks. That’s the problem. I saw the original movie when it came out, in 1976 or so…and one sequel not that long after.

May the forceps be with you!

Betty,
How many BTU’s does the wok harness? Any idea?

Nearly all of mine have been mentioned. The one that hasn’t is the Thermapen. Perfection for what it is and I use it almost daily. Makes cooking meat basically fool-proof.

Runner-up would be my cast iron skillet. More useful – and more-often used – than my All Clad or Le Creuset.

Also my Big Green Egg, Blue Star Range, and Zojirushi Rice Cooker. All perfect for what they are.

All mentioned, but to chime in:
Wolf Range
All-Clad non stick pans
Zojirushi rice (and more) steamer

None whatsoever. I’ll take a pic the next time I’m there.

If I remember correctly, the wok range that my ex-girlfriend’s father had was 125,000 BTU. Like I said, it breathed fire. The damned thing roared when it was cranked

Tough to call, but I would say either Zojirushi rice cooker or Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker. I really love my donabe and Anova sous vide too, but the others have been with me longer.

My 1st good Dutch Oven

Zojirushi rice cooker changed my life. I’ve had steel cut oatmeal waiting for me when I wake up every morning for a decade. Plus, timing my rice and grains for meals is so helpful!

I have lots of cooking stuff I like and use for years, but for life-changing, it’s got to be the hearth oven.

My Wife… champagne.gif

Actually, it is true, because I had to really learn to cook ALL the time. Big change for me. [wink.gif]

Digital probe.
(But really various restaurants, cook books and, yes WINES, have had greater impact than any piece of kit. And I do cook quite a lot).