The Official Deli Thread

At least they sell more pastrami sandwiches at Canter’s than they do turkey sandwiches, which probably isn’t the case for Greenblatt’s. Canter’s is primarily the go choice for after 9pm. Where else can your roll in for a sandwich at midnight, then decide to go into the adjoining Kibbitz room and here a random band and have another drink? When Mary and I were getting married we were referred to a non-denominational pastor by our wedding venue. We interviewed him and sealed the deal over pastrami sandwiches at Canter’s.

For lunch I go to Greenblatt’s more than Canter’s. There were a couple of years when I did three projects right near there above the Strip. I spent a fortune getting a sandwich and leaving with bottles of wine. Btw, IMO Canter’s and Nate n Al’s both have better matzo ball soup than Greenblatt’s.

Barney Greengrass actually has some good deli dishes, but I’d rather eat down on Alvarado where they’re trying to sell fake work- permits on the streets, than at Barney’s with the Housewives of B.Hills. Another decent place for a tasty and excellent value ‘strami or corned beef sandwich is Labels’ Table, on Pico near Robertson.

I have to agree with John, at least Langers has a decent pastrami sandwich. Greenblatts always sucked, bought some wine there a couple of times. Unless things have changed radically in LA nothing comes close to a good NY deli. [cheers.gif]

John if nothing else you have a Jewish Neshuma.

P.S. I agree.

OK L.A. guys -

What was the name of the famous Hollywood deli on Ventura Boulevard that was a huge open cafeteria and closed a year or two ago?

I had a $14 Roast Beef Sandwich there once that I ate off of for three days, it was huge! not sure how the rest of their food was, but that was one mean Roast Beef Sandwich.

Arts? Jerry’s? Solleys?

You are correct sir!!!

I didn’t want to rain on Roberto’s recommendation, especially given the wine connection. I spend more time on a few LA Foodie boards than I do here, and Greenblatt’s is rarely mentioned in the deli discussions compared with those others.

Pretty sure it was Jerry’s - thanks Andrew - and I believe they are now closed?

Wait . . . there is a Barney Greengrass in LA?!?!? A branch?!?! Another reason they can’t be taken seriously

Possibly the one in Studio City.

Langer’s is the best of the bad lot that we have here. The rest (Canters, Factors, Art’s, Saul’s, Solley’s, Brent’s, Label’s - especially foul, as were all of the Jerry’s -, et al), suck terribly.

Barney Greengrass is in Beverly Hills and located at the top of… Barney’s of New York, of course. Enough said.

Come to LA to eat tacos, not deli.

Nothing in Napa. Nearest are David’s Delicatessen and Shorty Goldstein’s in San Francisco.

Though I am a Denver fan, your new avatar is stellar. [cheers.gif]

Agree. Chicago has no good deli. However, Chicago may be pioneering the trend of hipster deli at Dillman’s.

Tons of good options in Philly where my parents live.

I went to Penn and there was a great Jewish deli on 43rd and Locust that still seems to be there. Koch’s Deli.

Rein’s in CT, east of Hartford, is quite good. But I’m not that far from NYC either.

Shorty’s in the city vaguely familiar. What’s the name of the deli in Berkeley? What’s the difference they are not good. But we do have a plethora of great restaurants right here in the valley.

Shapiro’s in Indianapolis is an institution and pretty good, too. Though I am no expert.

JD

It seems like this fits here, but if anyone shops at Costco, I think the smoked salmon that they carry has a great texture and has a nice QPR to boot:

You crack me up Mark. I can’t think of anyone that thinks so much food “sucks terribly”.

Fries, pastrami sandwiches, and matzo ball soup are just not haute cuisine. The pastrami sandwich at Label’s runs $9 so perhaps expectations should go in line with that. But anyway, we’ll just disagree. I think Langer’s is a great spot, and a number of others are at least enjoyable representations of deli. I will say that they are clearly the eat-in variety and not the sourcing outposts like R & D. But I certainly can’t think of anywhere outside of New York that I would say has a better deli selection. The deli is an endangered segment, and IIRC the guy that wrote the book “Save the Deli” (Shaw or Sax) rates L.A. just behind NY.

Montreal delis match or exceed NY’s in quality.