The oakiest wine I've ever had; what's yours?

I find a lot of spanish and south american wines are heavy handed with the oak treatment. Especially the Riserva’s, the can be some real oak monsters. The ones i remember most recently were an argentinean malbec from Gouguenheim that was ultra woody, but dry, not much vanilla. Like if granny’s walk-in coat closet was lined in sandalwood and you stuck your head in there and took a big whopping whiff. On the other hand, an aged Tempranillo from Alfa Spiga was pretty much sweet oak syrup. Like if there was a bottle of oak barrel extract you could buy in the baking spice aisle of the supermarket for making holiday cookies, this would be that.

Or if you’ve ever had the unique experience of sampling Chene, an oak-centric fragrance from the french parfumeur Serge Lutens, it’s pretty much the embodiment of the thick, sometimes cloyingly sweet, other times aridly dry woody musk of the over-extracted oak flavor and scent profile of many of these wines.

They had bought a bunch of new oak fermenters and, I guess, they didn’t season them. But yes, a planky mess.

And high alcohol levels can also extract more oak elements, according to Mel Knox. That squares with my experience that you tend to get more wood spice notes (e.g., cinnamon) in big wines.

And, of course, Rioja traditionally has been aged in American oak, with its coconut elements. That’s quite different from French oak, like that on the SQN Leitmotif I posted on the other day. That smelled like a lumberyard. I assume that the SQN barrels had a relatively light toast/char.

2006 Château Larcis Ducasse (note from April 2012)

“Just a whole lot of oak, vanilla and warm berries on the nose. The palate isn’t much more interesting with heavy brown sugar, blueberries, vanilla and cream. Another wine fit for a beaver.”

+1

1995 Monbousquet. Jay Miller described this wine to me as the most spoofed wine he had ever tasted. But that was some years ago so maybe he’s tasted some wine that has overtaken it. Having stopped buying the wine after this one, I haven’t. I last tasted this maybe 5 years ago before I sold off my remaining bottles. Maybe oak will go away after years of aging, but that’s not what this wine indicates.

There have been times when 2001 Pape Clement has shown as nothing more than purple furniture. Monbousquet has also been frightening.

But I think the prize goes to 1997 Matthews Syrah which saw 200% new oak.

Funny you say that. When I think of those wines I definitely think oak, sure. But I also think getting beat in the face with cassis/black fruit. I think El Nido might be the most “everything” wine I’ve ever had. It’s like a full out assault on the tongue.

I vividly remember a Spring Mountain Cab from the 80s that was like drinking a table leg.

09 Rockledge Cab “The Rocks”. Thought I was sucking on a vanilla bean.

Actually a Columbia Crest Grand Estates. They must of tripled the oak chips on that batch.

Cameron Hughes Lot 200 was an oaked out mess.

1. Any CdP Super Cuvee where the Grenache gets oaked.
  2. Chateau Lascombes 2002
  3. Thunder Mountain 1996 Bald Mountain Chardonnay

I am particularly grateful to the Thunder Mountain wine, which taught me in one glass that scores were not absolutes.

So aside from the money, why would a well known critic score a really oaked wine so well? Do some seasoned tasters actually enjoy the oak bomb? I get how and why casual drinkers love oak, it’s silky, balanced (from a one dimensional sense) and fruity but I personally am highly distracted from being able to enjoy the wine. Oak obviously hides other flaws but it hides all the good things too. Maybe as I gain more experience I’ll be able to identify more unique characteristics in wine with heavy oak, but as of now I have a difficult time discerning much.

It’s like with coffee beans, Starbucks over roasts the crap out of all their beans and they all taste like burnt tire water and you never can tell what the bean actually tastes like. It’s consistent, but masks all the inherent characteristics of origin. I don’t get it.

Gosh - the Mannequin is one of the worst wines (taking price into account) that I can recall tasting. Literally the only wine that has gone down the sink and not into a hot pan.

Makes me a little scared for the bottle of Papillon I have been hanging on to, but I hear those are more enjoyable.

I haven’t had El Nido, but that sounds a lot like my recollection of Alto Moncayo. Thick, inky, sweet, lathered in chocolate and vanilla.

Wow, sadly, so many.

Some recent notables for how horrendous they were:

2005 Lascombes
2002 Pape Clemente rouge
And most modern St Ems 2003+

• Troplong Mondotte
  • Bellevue Mondotte
  • Barde Haute
  • Sanctus
  • Fleur Cardinale (got worse)

I forgot about the upper-tier Alto Moncayo wine - Aquilon was so oaked and ripe it made Alto Moncayo and Veraton taste like Rayas and Pignan.

The 03 Monbousquet is on the short list of worst Bordeaux I have ever tasted.

Wasn’t taking notes at the time but for some reason an early 1980’s Robert Mondavi chardonnay comes to mind.

Newton wines, both red and white, early 1990s if I’m remembering correctly. My first realization that my tastes were diverging from RMP scores.

Yeah, with the 2006 vintage they shifted over to something ridiculous. Used to be one of my go-to Cab QPRs.

Hard not to mention 2012 Caymus somewhere in this…

2013 Hamilton-Russell Chard really sticks out in my mind as well.