The Great Durand Cork Remover

double whammy
noun informal
a twofold blow or setback.

I’m an almost double whammist as a manly engineer with a masters. And as such, I do not own a Durand knowing full well I would fail to operate it properly. You must know your limits.

I can fully understand using the device incorrectly, given how it slots together for storage. If I had not seen someone use one prior to purchasing my own, I could see myself making the same mistake.

Big fan of this device and think it is a must have for anyone who drinks old wine.

that said, I wish they would make an “XL” version with a slightly longer corkscrew.

1 Like

Are those the corks that Come Undone?

2 Likes

I used mine wrong initially, as well. It is annoying that they took two $10 tools, combined them, and charge $100 - but only because I didn’t think of it first! If you drink old wines, it is a must-have.

2 Likes

I do guess that almost 100% of users the very first time assume the ah so goes into those two slots. It just screams out to you.

Then you realize that can’t work, go back and read the instructions you should have read at the outset, and figure it out.

2 Likes

This

Should be a note in the box when you 1 st open it
“Warning, proper use of this product defies logic. Please read instructions before employing device.”

5 Likes

Can’t imagine not having one. I pretty much use the rule of 15. If the vintage is 15 years older than the current year, out it comes.

That and this tool (especially the strainer) are the only 2 wine tools that get any use in my house (and Durand at offlines).

5 Likes

another old saying — we have an ID- ten-T error (id10t)

I wonder why someone doesn’t make an imitation and sell it for $60 or something. Is it patented or something?

There are copies but all with similar prices. So I assume they’ve acquired rights to produce because the patent is still active. Or they like to live dangerously…

Tire-bouchon lames et ver ligne de sommeliers professionnels pour vins âgés https://amzn.eu/d/jhnaN4a

1 Like

1 Like

We are very lucky here in NJ that we have tons of really great BYO restaurants…I always take my Durand with me when I bring nice wines along (which is pretty much every time we frequent a BYO), and it has saved my ass more times than I can count…and I have turned on many of my fellow diners at nearby tables when they curiously look over and ask “what have you got there”? Also, many waiters have asked me about my Durand as well, and at several of these restaurants, they have ended-up purchasing one for themselves just to have on hand! I should get a commission!

1 Like

Waaay back in those halcyon days of 2017, at a deeply geeky wine shop in darkest Detroit, I was was head-over-heels for Burgundy but utterly clueless. I’d accumulated 3 cases of Burgs with price tags (gasp) all the way up to $150 or so. Some were duds, some were an education and some were well, Roumier Chambolle villages. On balance I count myself a lucky monkey.
At checkout, Elie the proprietor sidled up and said “Kid, you need one of these…” (I was all of 57).

Reader, I bought it.

When I got home with my 36 whole bottles (effectively doubling my Burgundy holdings…), I was appalled to see a $115 price tag on the corkscrew widget thingy I’d schlepped back to the ATL.

Fast-forward to Fall 2023: Glad I have one, ready to get another as a back up.

4 Likes

Don’t feel bad Tom, I’ve had to train more than one sommelier on the proper use of these things :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have two at work and one at home. Use them several times a week. Brilliant investment as far as I’m concerned.

And your date has always been cool with this?!? Or did you mean that your fists start flying …?

1 Like

I too have a PhD in engineering, but having been a professor I do read instructions. In this case, the ones the product comes wrapped in:

2 Likes

Have you had the corkscrew not penetrate the entire cork before? It’s longer than any other corkscrew I’ve seen, I have a hard time believing it needs to be longer.

2 Likes

You do NOT put the Ah So stems through the slots. If you do it will not work. Those slots are for storage of the Durand I did the same thing, then read the directions.

2 Likes

I made the same mistake at first. And more than once. It actually will work if you don’t put the screw all the way in and leave space for the tongs. But it doesn’t work nearly as well. I was much happier when a friend corrected me.

2 Likes