The glory of the 4oz/5oz tasting bottles. 79 Heitz Martha's opened 10 days ago - still drinking as good as when opened.

yep! Great advice. I use the dining table and bring it down to the bench. When it gets time to stop the flow I just lift the bottle and transfer.

If the goal is stasis, I fill close to the top. If the wine benefits from air, sometimes I’ll intentionally leave some headspace to drink over the next few days. I use tapered 250ml bottles, and in my experience it takes what looks like a large amount of air to make any real difference.

For those that are shipping these are you Pobegaing (is that correct spelling, ha) or letting rest a bit?

video please!

I ordered from here - https://www.burchbottle.com Can purchase by the case (12) of bottles. Bought 375ml and 8oz to fit 28/400 cap (basically the same as Fu’s but slightly larger (28mm vs. 22mm)). They have several other sizes that fit these caps - realize I should have bought some 5 oz ones as well - I can divide a bottle in 2 or 3, but not 5.

When it gets close I just bring the taster bottle up to the main bottle level

Mad scientists all! Love the siphon

Thanks charlie

Does this make you a fan of screwcaps, then?

The only issue with these is the reductive element you get, which I think screw caps have, but I have no problem with screw caps. Get rid of corks for all I care. Diam/Screw Caps for life. Tired of corked wines

For larger bottles (e.g., 12 oz, or saving half a bottle), what do you all think of something like this? Or is a screw cap preferable?

These work very well in terms of keeping air out, but you need to fill them all of the way, or close to it, for them to preserve the wine like the 4oz bottles do. Someone in our virtual tasting group used these bottles at first, and these wines always went the quickest once opened, similar to if they were in a normal sized opened bottle.

Gotta make sure the seal is tight. Some of those lose seal pretty easily without even noticing.

I love flip-tops, and use them for all sorts of things. The rubber gaskets are easy to replace. They seem to have a good life span, but it’s something to pay attention to.

Thank you all for the replies. How does the seal compare to a conventional screw top bottle with a phenolic polycone cap? Both airtight?

The long-term problem with screw caps/anaerobic seals—not just normal “reduction” but a thiol generation machine:
Sufides the whole story - so far.pdf (518 KB)

I went to law school so I didn’t have to read this stuff Jayson.

Aren’t these basically theoretical problems?

Either way - do Diam then, i don’t really care. I’m anti cork.

No.

I imagine that you are airing the wines (as opposed to just decanting off sediment) prior to the transfer to the sample bottles so that the other tasters don’t have to air them in glasses before the tasting.
However, from the aspect of “preservation”, do the wines truly “stop in their tracks”? Even after several hours in a decanter, once poured into the sample bottles with no airspace, do they really taste even a few days later like there has been no progression? I thought there would be oxygen in solution that would continue to affect the wines even in the absence of any airspace, which is why I thought the wines had to be poured into smaller containers (again, for preservation purposes) right after opening.
Also, have you tried storing the samples at wine cellar temps, as asked, and on the counter, and compared with fridge storage?

While those look fun, gotta say nothing is easier than a screwcap to deal with and be sure it’s on tight.

I think bottle + cap is going to be cheaper too.