The Giving and Taking of Travel Advice

Certainly no apology is necessary…We were always brought up to share! champagne.gif

Cheers!
Gelb the Elder flirtysmile

1 Like

Blame it on the Millennials! :wink:

I am visiting Italy right now, and received a wide variety of recommendations from people on this board as well as from personal friends. We followed a lot of the advice we received, and in some cases where the food or experience was amazing, I snapped a photo and sent a short text or email thanking the person. In other instances, particularly with acquaintances, I figured I would either comment on the board thread or follow up via email (when I got home). I truly appreciate people taking the time and effort to help me and others, and I think that is deserving of an appropriate gesture of thanks!

I understand how Sarah feels and it is not limited to travel recommendations. Some people are naturally givers, while some are takers, and I think when the givers are on the “receiving” end, they are more likely to show their appreciation. Just my 2 cents.

When I was in college, after my younger sister got there my fraternity brothers starting calling me Coops the Elder and her Coops the Younger. Thought of that with your post.

Beyond thanking each other, whenever I have gone to wine areas (esp. Burgundy, Alsace, etc., where you actually see the owner or winemaker and not just people whose jobs it is to give tours (and charge for them)), I have always felt that one thing I could do to thank people who agree to see me and spend time with me to post about it here and/or in other public forums. The publicity is the least I can do for them.

+1

Thanks, Sarah, and I see that I am guilty of this myself–I asked you about the food at Tour d’Argent and never acknowledged your reply! My bad! Anyway, what you said was indeed appreciated. I’ve never been there, and your report was about what I expected, but still you took the time and effort to write it and you certainly deserve my thanks for that.

Beyond that, I always value your impressions of food and wine, because you have very discriminating tastes, are so well-traveled, and make the necessary effort to express your opinions clearly and completely, which is no small thing. Very few posters even approach your level, it’s almost like reading a really good travel/wine guide. I guess some part of not replying (for some people anyway) is that it’s not so easy to reply commensurately, but that of course is no excuse!

In any case, please keep posting these things, they are one of the reasons why WB is such and interesting and informative place.

Thanks Peter. Glad you enjoy my posts. :slight_smile:

When I started this thread, I really wasn’t meaning just to bitch about not being thanked or getting acknowledgement - as I said, I don’t do it in expectation of thanks or to have my ego stroked. And certainly I don’t expect every piece of advice or recommendation on the board to get a response! I was more wanting to express my surprise that people don’t feel the same excitement I do to continue the conversation with a post-visit report, and to let others know how fun it is to hear back afterwards. In other words, I don’t think it’s bad if you don’t report back, but it’s SO nice if you do, I encourage people to take that time.

You’re welcome! And we would indeed be better off if everyone took the time to reply or respond whenever possible. So make the effort, people!

Post visit? Many times I cannot contain myself and go on line at night or in the morning to report in close to real time.

I recently gave some recommendations for korean and chinese restaurants in LA but the couple went somewhere else in the valley to eat instead. Never heard back tho. ;p ;p.

Your Japan trip looks tastttttttttty right now.

I try to say thanks, but honestly, I sometimes get a bit crazed (especially immediately after a vacation) with work, so I know I’ve dropped the ball at times.

On the other hand, I try to give freely of advice when asked and while I appreciate feedback, I don’t expect it.

Haha - that was fair. :slight_smile: Be assured when we do try those places, you will hear about it!

I went to one of your recs in LA- Soowon Galbi and it was great, I followed up with feedback on the thread.

I was teasing Sarah :smiley:.

Beyond getting a thank you, I think it is interesting just to get feedback. Not just on travel recos, but also wine lists. When someone asks “Help me pick a wine from this list?” it is nice to see at the end what wine(s) they picked and how they turned out.