The Cult Of Champagne

Whether it is the first drink of the night or had as a night cap, Champagne is always a treat!

I think I like the idea of being in The Cult of Champagne.

Yeah, I’m happy to be labeled as being in that cult. My enthusiasm was helped over the years by some of my core wine and food friends, 3-4 women and 1-2 guys, and my life has been the better for it. I euphemistically refer to them as my bubbly buddies.

-Al

Champagne was my first vinous love - had a glass when I was 16, sitting outside at the Brasserie au General Lafayette in Paris, and it was a tremendous epiphany. I had never imagined something so steely and mineral could be so utterly delicious. We hardly ever have it at home and it really grinds my gears.

Better start popping some of 'em, they are contagious, I can’t imagine your family & friends not liking the bubbles!

I host a Charleston offline every year. Champagne always plays a large part, and is always paired with food.
2020 sucks, nothing to celebrate tonight, but we are still drinking Champagne. champagne.gif

A friend with a great palate who is a great Champagne lover describes herself as a bubblehead.

I have an acquaintance who calls himself a Champagne slut. This led to an awkward moment when he approvingly told a woman at a tasting “I see you’re a Champagne slut, too”.

-Al

[swoon.gif] [head-bang.gif]

caviar doesn’t have to be an appetizer anymore than. champagne an appertif. Champagne is the most versatile wine- cocktail? check. Appertif? Check. Main event? Check. Digestif? Check. Dessert? Check. Breakfast drink? Check. Celebration? Check. Mourning? Check. Rainy day wine? Check. Sunny day? Check. Poultry? Check. Game? Check. Fish? Check. Spicy Food? Check. I only pause for sushi as we all know CdP is better there.

That is just too quote-worthy to limit to one post.

[cheers.gif]

I’m more tempted to say there’s a Cult of Red Wine, as so often the reds are treated like the main event and everything else is secondary, as others have said. Of course there are those of us who don’t think that way - some of whom have chimed in already - but it’s pretty common with both geeks and non-geeks.

Also, off the top of my head:

With just a few exceptions, when people post their CT stats, the great majority have mostly red wine in the cellar.

The notion that whites are for chicks, and real men drink red, is ubiquitous in the real world.

It’s not uncommon to hear a board participant say they drink only red. It’s very uncommon to hear a board member say they drink ONLY white/champagne.

When I look around at BYO restaurants, regardless of the cuisine, the tables are usually full of bottles of reds, maybe a white for the girls.

When I order wine for a work event, I’ve learned to get 75% red and still the white doesn’t get finished (I’m often the only one drinking it).

All this is strange to me since at least half of what I eat is much better with white wine or champagne than with red. But even that puts me in mind of another observance: when people get defensive about pairings, a la “drink whatever you want - a good pairing is what I like!” more often than not it’s defending how a red can work when it probably doesn’t. You get a lot more people defending barolo with sushi than you do defending chardonnay with steak.

The Soft White Underbelly of Champagne would be the name when we didn’t want to be recognized.

Totally agree with all of these. I do enjoy some other sparklers, but they aren’t substitutes for Champagne, just another type of flavor profile bubbly. We open Champagne at least once a week, sometimes more, and either have it with food or sip it contemplatively. Sometimes for no other reason than it sounds good on a Friday night. I like the cleansing effect, too, so sometimes we finish with Champagne after having red with dinner.

Or when we are having oysters.

Amen!
White wines matter? rolleyes If you ever feel the need to convert a “red wine only” advocate to bubbly, I suggest Leclerc Briant Rubis de Noirs as the gateway drug. There’s enough tannins in this that he won’t lose face…

I would wager this is the most common view of champagne. I think most people, and a good portion of wine enthusiasts, see it as a night-starter or a celebratory drink. I was not a big fan of champagne early on in my wine journey, and my dad, who is a wine enthusiast as well, enjoys but is not blown away by champagne.

I honestly started drinking it more frequently because my wife enjoys it. It has also been part of a transition from rich, extracted, unctuous wines to somewhat lighter and more acidic wines. While undeniably a different experience than a red wine, I’ve found many champagnes that have deep aromatic complexity and layers of flavors that go on and on. I think few would consider a Montrachet to be a prelude to red wines, and I’ve had many champagnes that were similarly substantive. Like all wines, though, champagne is a matter of taste. I think it tastes wonderful and, on top of that, can be refreshing. My only complaint about champagne is that it’s too easy to drink and too enjoyable, and seems to disappear faster than any other wine.

To that point, after hosting a bunch of Berserkers in Dallas over consecutive nights, I can readily attest that champagne goes fastest, is revisited most frequently, and tends to get gone. Every single bottle of champagne that was popped at the Dallas events I hosted were completely drained. Many delicious and big named reds sat 1/3 or even 1/2 full, wondering why no one was asking them for a second, third, or fourth dance.

While I’d like to think I don’t swoon, exactly, I get excited when Dom P, Krug, or Cristal comes out. Dom P is often very good and can be great. Krug is often very good and often great. Cristal is often great. At least in my opinion. Those are serious wines, and while Dom P is perhaps more variant, you’re talking about well earned reputations. I love me some smaller growers as well, and the fun with champagne is that there are so many styles and variations you can really never run out of great options.

So true. Great comments, btw.

Sarah, it gets worse than this. I have traditionally organized monthly tastings for my wine tasting group. Years ago, I suggested a white wine only as a theme a couple of times and AT A SEAFOOD RESTAURANT. About half the group still insisted on bringing reds in addition to the white. And this group includes Champagne lovers, German wine freaks and most people love white Burgundy (a few also like Loire chenin blanc a good bit). I have since given up this theme although I would still love to do it about once a year or so.

I wouldn’t be so sure.