The Clarice Wine Company email

This is a general problem/opportunity in this segment. Do any US Pinots hold their value? Or to put it another way, it seems like you can find most US pinots below ‘list’ prices if you are patient and look around. Ok, there are just a few exceptions (Marcassin … um … Marcassin … um …). Willams Selyem? Kosta Brown? No and no. And some wines are such small production that they never show up in the secondary market. I’ve run across quite a few of my faves selling library wines for a significant premium over release while those same bottles are available in the secondary market below release. Yes, provenance is a potential issue, but we’re talking about US Pinot made in the last decade or so. Not bottles stored in an attic in Italy for decades. I buy from responsible secondary markets with zero qualms.

Long story short, this value provided by Clarice is a minimal one, at least IMHO.

Hey all, Sorry for the delayed response. I was traveling all day yesterday and then working selling wine. So here goes:

Rich – On the wine/wine making. My favorite Pinot Noirs aromatically are often the lighter colored, more red fruited wines. My favorite Pinots on the palate are usually more dark fruited and a bit more weighty. I have often wanted to combine those elements and have done my best to do so in blending at the winery, but unfortunately one outweighs the other. I haven’t been able to combine them in a way that I want. That would be my goal. – One of the things I’ve noticed in the SLH (and other places as well), is that as the vines age, the fruit is tending to reach maturity earlier, and at lower brix. So I am trying to take advantage of that. I am also working the growers to try and extend hang time without getting higher sugars (I left more fruit on my vines until verasion than others in the vineyard and then did a much more drastic color thin). – Long story short, I ended up with wines at lower alcohols than I’ve had before, more stems, higher acids, and yet with the richness that I’ve wanted. First vintage will be released fall/winter. Bottled August 27.

Rich, I can and I can’t give you and idea specifically because it really is going to be up to the individual wineries offering the wines and discounts to decide what they want to do. And also, because this is going to be an ongoing and changing thing. If Clarice Members want to hear more from guest authors that are winemakers, I will get those people for them and they will be able to offer whatever they choose. My point in this is to bring value to Members and if something they want can be had, then I will go get it for them. If you want to drop me an email at claricewinecompany@gmail.com I can tell you more details.

Todd, the Clarice forum idea wasn’t something that I saw you incorporating here. Perhaps I was wrong and should have considered it. But the Clarice forum is a private forum, open only to the 625 members of the list and to the guest posters. So, for example, when Jeff Newton writes his blog post on farming in the Central Coast, the members will get to read his opinion, post about it online on the members only section of the site, interact with him in the forum (and throughout the year), Learn from him and also buy his wine. – Same thing for the other guest authors (though not all have wine to sell) - such as the Jeb from Silicon Valley Bank, etc. I didn’t see how having this private interaction, available only to members, would fit into this larger community. If there was a way, then please feel free to PM me or email me. Clarice will continue to grow and change and improve.

Adam Lee
Clarice Wine Company

Adam, thanks for this explanation. The combination of smell and taste you are looking for is very similar to what I enjoy in a fine Pinot. Hmmmm.

Looking forward to Adam Lee’s new project!

I was expecting a chianti TN

Good one!!!

Did you join the Clarice Wine Company forum? Only CWC members can, as Adam approves all those who request to join

For those who didn’t see the other thread.

I dunno!

Is it here?

I just got the email today, and looked over page one here and didn’t see anything and figured it hadn’t been posted yet.

Please feel free to kill this thread. Apologies for the redundancy.

$1000/year? Did he burn through all that Kendall Jackson money already?

A case of wine, including shipping, and I already know I like his winemaking style.

Struck me as reasonable.

If I were to buy a case and pay shipping, that would work out to about 75-80 bucks a bottle.

Plus, I think Adam Lee has been very supportive of Berserker members and I like him, so I have positive energy regarding his endeavor.

(I must have gotten a “Table 19” invite. Still happy to do it!) champagne.gif

I think very highly of Adam’s style. I still find it off putting when a winemaker on a new project expects people to plunk down $1000 for wine no one has tried. When a respected winemaker goes the lifestyle brand route, its disappointing.

Merging threads…

This is an interesting topic.

I am a lazy consumer. I don’t like having to scramble to shops to find wine. I don’t even like mailing lists that are first come, first served. Guarantee me my allocation and take my money, please.

With this wine venture, I pay a yearly fee and I know I will be getting wine without having to “save the date” or risk missing a wine because it popped up some morning when I was busy.

So, the only ‘lifestyle’ thing I am paying for is the pleasure of not having to worry about ‘for sale’ dates.

If only I lived close enough (or had the available time) to attend the winery parties that the clubs host, I would be even happier. That would just be gravy.

Winery release parties are one of my least favorite pastimes, so drinking wine and hob bobbing with the winemaker hold very little benefit to me. It would be more attractive if their were 2 clubs- the wine club, and the lifestyle club, at 2 different price points. Some people really enjoy the opportunity to eat some canapés while sipping from a winery logo’d glass at a “members only” party. Just hasnt resonated with me, and not something I would pay a premium for. But I’m certain it will appeal to many and your contrarian perspective is appreciated Anton.

Cheers, amigo.

[cheers.gif]

James,

Do you mind if I send you a PM? I am confused as to what you mean by the “lifestyle brand route” and “canapes and a logo glass.” That is pretty much the antithesis of what I am trying to do…and so I’d like to learn how you got that impression, but not certain that is of interest to anyone else. But also don’t want to PM you without it being okay with you.

Adam Lee
Clarice Wine Company

[quote=“Michael Martin”]Has anyone joined yet?[/quote

I have. I was an early Siduri fan, and am predominatly a Pinot drinker. Besides having a lot of faith in Adam I also considered the vineyards he is sourcing from.

Are there comparable and/or better wines at a similar price point? I’d say that there are, but considering that I believe his wines will have limited production (given the source vineyards) I wanted to roll the dice and make sure that if I liked it that I wouldn’t get shut out if it really caught on. That has happened before…I have liked wines that once were “available” but subsequently ended up on allocation and ended up missing the boat. Lesson learned.

So I’m taking a chance, I’ve paid more for wine I didn’t like…and like I said…I have faith that Adam is going to do well by us.

Dave

I joined based on enjoyment of Siduri’s past.

I also want to encourage this sort of thing, it helps allow someone to stay true to the ‘artisinal’ quest.

Hi Adam- yes, the lines of communication are always open. Before your post I actually mentioned to a member my tone may have come off as unfairly harsh. I look forward to chatting via PM.