The Best California Chardonnay That You've Had In The Last 5 Years?

Last year at the Chanin/Lutum tasting room. It was from Bien Nacido. I rarely enjoy California chardonnay and haven’t found one from BN that I liked yet but this left me speechless. I thought it was odd that he had me taste the pinot first before the chard but when he ended on this I understood why. I will pull the bottle tonight and update this with which producer and vintage since I can’t remember now which label it was under. I am assuming it was 2014.

Edited to add it is the Chanin 2014 Bien Nacido

Going by my TNs in CT, my favorites have come from Melville Winery. I’ve had Liquid Farm (like those too), Ferren, Kistler (albeit not their top cuvees), Walter Hansel, and a few others, and my top impressions were both from Melville.

My favorites are

Rochioli Rachael’s 2013
Rhys Horseshoe 2012
Morlet Coup Coeur 2009

My favorite Chardonnay for food is Ceritas Heintz (2013 is incredible).

California Chardonnay is my favorite varietal from California.

So, um, anyone have a 2014 Kutch SCM they’d like to discuss parting with?

It’s approaching MACDONALD status. Don’t you know? champagne.gif

I’ll join the chorus with another shout out for the 2014 Kutch Santa Cruz Mountain Chardonnay.

One other wine that stood out for me is the 2010 Poe Wines Chardonnay Ferrington Vineyard. Poe does not get a lot of attention on this board but Sam produces some terrific wines. This one stood out as special.

Another memorable California Chardonnay for me was the 2012 Kistler Chardonnay Vine Hill Vineyard. Like Stefon’s recommended New York hottest clubs, this wine had everything: sea spray, honey, apricots, lychee, acidity, wet rocks, complexity, and elegance.

I am pretty certain I haven’t drunk a single California Chardonnay in the last 5 years, except a sip at a conference reception here and there.

I suppose that would mean those examples are the best I’ve had!

Enfield

I drink a lot of Hansel Chardonnay because I believe it is the best bang for the Buck. I have also had memorable bottles from Hartford Court, Stone Street, Ramey, Aubert, Maccassin and others. Lots of good Chardonnay available.

The '12 and '14 Rhys Alpine, followed by '13 SENS3S B.A Thieriot and '15 SENS3S Charles Heintz Vineyard.

Various vintages of Rhys

Had a '14 Enfield a few weeks ago that was very, very good.

2013 Walter Hansel Chardonnay Cuvée Alyce. Unreal layers of flavor there.

So…what is yours? You started an engaged topic here but we have no idea what your wine is.

And you are surprised why? :wink:

Next time you’re in Houston give me a shout.

'15 Enfield Haynes Vineyard Chardonnay
FML… so so good

2013 Ridge Chardonnay Estate

-J

Ceritas for me. I like the Trout gulch but all of the vineyards are good with me. 2015 was outstanding.

Marcassin
Aubert
Judge
Ferren

In no particular order