The Best $20 Or Under Sparklers Availabe?

I think the Jaffelin Crémant de Bourgogne Brut Rosé is lovely. The blanc is really good too at $15.

Jason

Good to know. I always see this but have never picked it up.

J

+1. The Ferrer Va de Vi is in the same price range and also very good.

Pinon Vouvray Brut non-Dose. Around $18 before tax at Bottle Barn, Santa Rosa.

+1 Always one in the fridge.

Argyle vintage sparkling, if you can find it on sale, has been a consistent performer year-in and year-out.

L Mawby from Michigan gets my vote

Second this, really good.

Like the Argyle and and Gruet domestically.

Raventos Cava is great especially the rose’ (de Nit) andcan sometimes be had for under $20.

I’ve always been a fan of the Chidaine, the Albrecht (Rose), Argyle and Raventos all mentioned above. I’m recently a convert to the Contadi Costaldi Rose Franciacorta. I had a strong pre-disposition against it because I view it as a mass-market commercial product, but after tasting it on 4-5 separate occasions it has now become my house Rose sparkler (and has replaced the Lucien Albrecht in that role).

+2. We have been through a case of it this summer so far, and counting. It is my wife’s go to wine - consumed with anything from sushi, to lobster, to oysters, to pizza.

Some have been mentioned, but my list would include:

Juve y Camps Brut Nature Reserva de Familia
Tripoz Cremant de Bourgogne
Thevent Blanc de Blancs Brut (technically not Cremant, but delish)
Chidaine Montlouis Brut
Raventos i Blanc Cava (the Rosat is ridiculously good)
German Gilabert Cava

[winner.gif]

Michael,

There are quite a few tasty sub-$20 sparklers, but before answering I think the key is to know exactly what you are looking for in terms of style. Sorry to be a pain, but it might be easier to give some good suggestions with a little more data.

• I think you have said in other threads that you preferred a more full bodied style of Champagne (apologies if I am remembering incorrectly). Is this what you are looking for in a sub-$20 sparkler too or are you more open to fruit and zippy freshness?

• You mention you want something dry. Dry is relative and can mean very different things. Most sub-$20 sparklers tend more towards the fruity side of things and are not what I would call dry, but someone else might. Can you give a comparison example of what you mean by dry?

• Are you looking for something that tastes like Champagne or is somewhat similar to Champagne in style or are you just interested in something fizzy? Take Cava for example - you can get some fairly dry Cavas for under $20, but they are going to be nothing like Champagne and that might be okay, but then again it might not be.

Picked up a few the other week. Really enjoying them.

I like all of Mumm’s labels. If you can find the red label, BUY BUY BUY!

[winner.gif]

Brad: When it was considerably less expensive, Bollinger Special Cuvée was my go to Champagne. Now it is usually Laurant-Perrier Brut. I do like full bodied, big flavored sparklers, and tend to gravitate towards those with large amounts of Pinot Noir. But then, Jose Dhondt BdB (as well as their Rose Saignee) are favorites. I tend to prefer low dosage, and while big fruit is fine, I dislike any residual sweetness on the finish. I need to buy several cases at the before mentioned price point for a special event. I guess what I’m looking for is a crowd pleaser. Thanks for your time and to all who have contributed to this inquiry.

NV Graham Beck Brut from South Africa in a yeasty, full-bodied style (chardonnay/pinot blend) = $16. I don’t like their Rose as well but others rave about it. A good review from IWC. FWIW classy bottles that look like Champagne if you need to serve at an event.

In a more lean style (some might say thin) - NV Simonnet-Febvre Chardonnay Crémant de Bourgogne Brut - sparkling Chablis $19

Note that I prefer dry wines so these recos reflect that.

If you’re in SoCal, then you can get the Laetitia Brut Rose for just a tad more than $20 at WineX:

http://www.winex.com/wine-730503-.aspx

Or if you’re in the Central Coast, then you can drive over to Arroyo Grande and taste through their entire lineup:

http://www.laetitiawine.com/wines-sparkling.php

Not sure where you guys are finding this under $20, wanna share?
I’m very fond of the stuff but, I’ve never found it in Seattle for less than $24.