The All Things BBQ Thread

10 lbs of Kielbasa, 44 lbs of pork shoulder and 70 lbs of USDA Prime brisket for a gig I am cooking for this weekend in Wisconsin.

image.jpeg

How are you planning to transport it out there?

I have a massive cooler and gel packs. Load up the sled and head for Freemott’s crib.

52 minutes in over Mesquite @ 300°, 6lbr. I’ll start checking it in about a half hour.
image.jpg

Load up the sled and head for Freemott’s crib.

Once he’s here, the ex-wife has agreed to cuddle with the groceries to keep them appropriately cold.

I’ll take a stab at this. What Aaron Franklin builds is simply his own variation of the classic Texas stick burner built with used industrial oil drums and to my knowledge, no one builds them commercially as in-stock production items. That said, there are any number of custom smoker builders who would build you something very similar. If you Google “Custom Smoker Builders” a lot of good names come up including Shirley Fabrication. Warning; the best custom smoker builders are on a 9 month to one year delivery schedule. Warning No. 2; unless you are going to open a BBQ joint, a smoker similar to AF’s “basic specs” is going to take up way too much real estate, burn way too much wood to keep target temps, and be far too cumbersome to use. It would be like taking a bazooka gun to a turkey shoot. When you read his book and read about customer’s fawning praise for his brisket, you naturally want to have a smoker like his. I understand that. But his final product is the result of having the best beef, the best wood, and the best skills to go along with his choice of smoker. My advice would be to pick a smoker that you can handle and practice until you learn how to get the best from your choice of smoker. Like I said in my post above, stick burners are the hardest to use-even among seasoned pro’s.

[wow.gif] [wow.gif] [wow.gif] Classic!!! [wow.gif] [wow.gif] [wow.gif]

I have cooked on several of his pits, the highest end ones.

I would never own one myself, but if you want high end and old school, nothing else compares so I am told.

Thoughtful thoughts. Thanks Mitch.

Indeed.

Franklin is a celebrity and now everyone wants to emulate him. An old LP tank repurposed as an offset smoker is really impractical for any individual, or really any small enterprise.

Lots of good stuff being made right now off the shelf and semi-custom that won’t break the bank. I am looking all over the state for a mobile rig that will suit my future needs.

Getting technique and temperature management down first is better IMO vs. chasing the guy at the top of the heap right now.

Agreed about impracticality, but if you HAAAVE to have one, these guys will oblige: http://www.camelbacksmokers.com/

The guys behind these smokers have brought brisket to another level here in Phoenix (http://www.littlemissbbq.com/). Basically the exact same formula as Franklin - but not sure if they are using post oak.

Impracticality aside, Dayum! Dat pretty.
4k and they can’t make em fast enough.

It is always amazing to me that there are beautiful smokers being crafted that I have never heard of despite thinking I have heard of all the major and not-so-major brands. I even checked the three BBQ websites that I view regularly (the three most popular I believe-AmazingRibs, The SmokeRing, and BBQBrethren) and there is no reference to Camelback. But this happens frequently so I should not be amazed. I almost bought one of these because a local restaurateur was using one for years with great results and same thing-you won’t find it mentioned on any Q website; Page 4

I smoked some pork shoulders today. I injected and then marinaded for 24 hours. I used our house rub and smoke at 240-250 with cut barrel staves. Once they reached 160 I wrapped in foil and put some apple juice in for moisture. Then I took them off when they reached 195 and let both rest for 1 hour. Pretty tasty!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I have never finished a butt wrapped. Does it diminish the bark and make it “mushy”? I know when I do ribs and foil them I always leave the last hour unwrapped to get back my crunch.

In my experience the butts dry out if they are left in the smoker uncovered to finish/get to temp. The meat is not mushy when I wrap it to finish. [cheers.gif]

Seems like a lot of BBQers here use the texas crutch with foil. Has anyone experimented with butcher paper (a la Franklin)? Does it improve the bark v. foil?

I think the bark is better with the paper than with foil. I’ve had good luck with it so far. I think my briskets have taken a step forward since using it.

I wholeheartedly agree briskets come out better (for me) foiled at 160

I am going to do two buts this weekend after reading all this. It’s cooled off here and time to fire up the fec.