The 2019 Bordeaux are coming out.

Thank you

Sneak preview on Pontet Canet and Palmer, perhaps?

This may help. Jane Anson who writes for Decanter, lives in Bordeaux. A fine taster, nice person and excellent writer. She has recently written a book Inside Bordeaux.

Palmer 2019

98 Points, Decanter Magazine: Iris and violet aromatics swirl out of the glass. In the mouth, things are velvet in texture and packed with concentrated cassis puree and blackberry fruit, gentle spice, soft charcoal and sappy tannins, with the whole thing just slowly slowly expanding and building through the palate, tightening its grip as it reaches the close of play. The Palmer signature of energy and precision is here in spades, and altogether the wine is both measured and elegant, with textbook floral Margaux character, while being extremely juicy, creamy and enjoyable, with a mouthwatering salinity on the finish – up there with the very best vintages of this estate. Low SO2, as has been the case for a few years now in line with biodynamic principles. Back to normal yield this year of (a very welcome I would imagine) 45hl/ha. Harvest September 19 to October 19. 60% new oak, likely to be in barrels for the first year then large sized oak casks for the second year. 55% of overall production in the 1st wine. Drinking Window 2028 – 2042 – Tasted by Jane Anson (at Primeur week tastings in Bordeaux, 24 May 2020) Part of Château Palmer 2019 released, rated 98 points by Anson

2019 Alter Ego de Palmer
DM: 94
$59 per bottle | Arriving in 2022
94 Points, Decanter Magazine: Cinnamon spice on the nose, with a patisserie edge to the fruits that gives a rich, creamy impression. As ever with the Palmer stable of wines, you can pick out the individual flavours clearly, with careful and precise delineation of cassis, bilberry, slate and tobacco notes, but overall this is an outstanding Alter Ego that puts the emphasis on pleasure. Tannins are extremely precise but feathery and pliable. An extremely low 37ppm of SO2 at this stage, in keeping with biodynamic principles and a desire to let the fruit speak. 3.62ph. 45hl/h yield, 45% of overall production in Alter Ego. Drinking Window 2024 – 2038. – Tasted by Jane Anson (at Primeur week tastings in Bordeaux, 24 May 2020) Part of Château Palmer 2019 released, rated 98 points by Anson

A sneak peak - of price, Ch. Palmer was released today through the distribution system to importers at 161 Euros/bt.
Not much is being offered so i suspect it will be difficult - few and far between in the market - and is set up for a 2nd tranche release.

2018 was described as “fresh” too.

I don’t know where you are hearing less alcohol (I presume than 2018). Reports I’ve seen (which, admittedly, cover a much broader range of wines than we purchase in the US) indicate that alcohol levels in 2019 are about the same as 2018, particularly in Merlot-based wines. Jane Anson said recently, “As per the last few years, you are going to see raised alcohol levels in 2019.” The most-common vintage comparison I’ve seen is to 2010, which was not a low-alcohol vintage.

It depends on the wine. Generally speaking, it is slightly lower than 18, especially in the Medoc by perhaps .5. It is impossible to have reductions of 1.5%.

William Gladstone… The price is not solely for importers. It is the price offered to all merchants, importers, wholesalers, retailers, etc that purchase from negociants. Palmer is a small property and not much is produced. They also always hold back wines.

The comparisons were to 2018, and yes, I was hearing certainly fresher and less alcoholic.

I am not sure about 2010 comparisons, but the alcohol levels were even higher than 2018, and so logically the 2019 is lower. It seems that 2010 would be difficult to compare any vintage considering the dry matter and alcohol were at record levels.

I know this has been discussed in a separate thread dedicated to Palmer, but I find it fascinating that Palmer seems to occupy this pricing niche all by itself. I’ve never had Palmer myself, but as a bottom-feeder, my perception of Palmer doesn’t really correlate with its pricing unlike, say Mission Haut Brion.

1.5% reduction seems implausible though…

No tariffs for me either, I did not intend to go deep on 2019 primeur but if the -33% trend persists, I might bite the bullet for select wines. I’ve already taken a couple of Pontet Canet and Roc de Cambes (price is up vs. 2018 though for this one !).

Palmer is nice and one of the first wine that left me thunderstruck at a student tasting, but I’ve found it hard to justify the price vs. some other Margaux (Rauzan Segla for instance).

2 Likes

Jeff - I am so fortunate that you are always right there to give me corrections, advice and the most extreme expert information.
The Berserker community benefits by your knowledge and wisdom, I know that I do…

Jeff - I should send my thoughts to you - so that you can add your expertise before I make any comments or statements that will be listed on this site.

Glad I could help. flirtysmile

Surprising given how hot it was during the summer of 2009.

Howard,

[I assume you meant to type ‘2019’, not ‘2009’, although 2009 was hot also.]

At certain heat levels, photosynthesis shuts down. A sudden extreme heat wave does not necessarily translate to higher alcohol.

Dan Kravitz

yes, I meant to write 2019. Can photosynthesis shutting down be good for the grapes?

Regarding retailers’ views on tariffs, I have been asking for more information from a handful. Here is what I have learned thusfar:

Sotheby - If tariffs are still in force when it comes time to import, you can either pay the additional tariff (TBD if its based on their price vs retail) or you can pay them to store your wine in France in a facility they will have in place in the near future. I have not yet reviewed their exiting T&C’s to see if it has anything specific on this point

Millesima - Did not explicitly comment on whether they will seek to charge the tariff, but if the tariff is still in place for delivery date, they will store the wine in France for free. T&C’s on futures below

Futures
An order for wines sold as “futures” for delivery at a future date must normally be paid at the time of order by a deposit equal to the full value of the merchandise. Customers are advised that some states may prohibit or restrict such “futures” sales, and it is their responsibility to be informed of and abide by such state laws. Following processing of a “futures” order and receipt of deposit, a pro forma invoice will be mailed or emailed to the customer’s billing address. This invoice together with proof of payment will guarantee ownership of the wines. Once the invoice has been mailed and the deposit has been received, the order is final and cannot be cancelled or modified. Additional “futures” wines may be ordered, but they will be invoiced and must be paid separately. Projected arrival and delivery dates for “futures” are estimates only and may vary by several months, depending upon the timing of the release from the estate and other factors. When the wines are ready for delivery, the customer will be contacted by Millesima USA LLC to confirm delivery arrangements and to advise of the sales tax and shipping charges, if any, which apply at that time. The customer will have 30 days from date of notification to pay any and all remaining charges and either take delivery of the merchandise or pick up the wines at the Millesima USA LLC retail premise. No “futures” merchandise shall be delivered or may be picked up until and unless all outstanding charges are paid in full. Millesima USA LLC does not store wines for customers at its retail premise or elsewhere. If the customer fails to pay all remaining charges by 30 days from date of notification of availability, Millesima USA LLC reserves the right to cancel the order. Millesima USA LLC will, in the case of such cancelation, refund the full amount of the original deposit paid by the customer. In the event that any wines ordered as “futures” by a customer are unavailable at the time of delivery, Millesima USA LLC will refund the full value of any and all such “futures” wines as originally invoiced to the customer.

Wine.com - Their email announcing the release of the 2019 pontet canet did basically say they will “work with you” but there is nothing in their T&Cs that allows them to charge you after the fact for the tariff. I believe they haven’t quite worked out a full fledge gameplan yet but it will likely be either what Millesima or Sotheby is offering (free or pay-for-it storage in France) but they will not try to charge you any additional amounts.

K&L - They are selling Pontet for $90 (12% more than others). Here is what their website says regarding tariffs when you view the pontet canet:

2019 Bordeaux Futures are being offered without any added tariffs. If there are applicable tariffs at the time the wines are imported in 2022, we will contact you with the option to pay tariffs to have the wine delivered, or cancel the order with no penalty.

https://klwines.com/p/i?i=1480772

Based on where things stand now, I will be ordering from Millesima and Wine.com. The advantage to wine.com is the free shipping, which is meaningful since Millesima ships out of NY.

Hmm. Either that wasn’t there when I was looking before, or I missed it. In my earlier post, I was referring to this notice, which does appear (and you have to check) before you check out, including for 2019 futures:

Notice regarding potential tariffs: K&L bases our pricing on the current import costs at the time of your purchase. If there are additional tariffs in place at the time your pre-arrival purchase is ready to get picked up by our importer, we can offer the following options:

1. Refund the purchase price to your account.
  2. Delay delivery (where possible) until the tariff has been lifted.
  3. Collect payment for additional tariff costs that are applicable when your product clears customs.
    We apologize for any inconvenience brought about by the current administration’s trade negotiations. By checking this box, you agree to these conditions.

Additional question: will K&L refund a portion of the purchase price if the tariffs disappear or go down?

That is a mere academic question for me, as I want no part of EP with the tariffs issue and COVID issue up in the air. Quite frankly, I cannot imagine how the environment could be any less stable, or any more volatile, for futures purchases. I’ll just buy off the shelf, assuming the pricing is good.

Whats more interesting is that on the product page it says cancel with no penalty. But your post says refund to your account (which I interpret as store credit)…

Cos d’Estournel and Pagodes are both out ~$140 (23%) and $44 (~15%)