Thanksgiving Wines - 2022 Edition

Thanksgiving is a month away. Curious to see what everyone is planning on opening this year for dinner

1 Like

Seems like it’s always Champagne and then Pinot with the bird, I open to suggestions for something different.

3 Likes

Plan on sharing some Ultramarine to start :grin:
Just picked up some Walter Scott Aligote that we will try also, and most likely some of the new Little Wings Pinot Noir as well.

I thought I was sure, but now it looks like we’ll have 9 people so I can’t exactly open a single 750 ml. I had a 2007 Trimbach Gewurztraminer Vendanges Tardives, but I think that’s going to be out of the picture. I do have a NV Quinta do Crasto Porto Constantino Fine Old Rich V.O.R which is still on the docket. Worried about opening the Goodfellow I have as notes generally say they’re shut down, so thinking maybe a couple bottles of Franny Beck or Suzor…

1 Like

American holiday, American wine.
Ultramarine likely to make an afternoon appearance. The rest TBA.

1 Like

European dude here being curious.

Is Thanksgiving more of a big wine day’ than Christmas is?

In Europe (Netherlands) it really is all about the Christmas days when opening up your ‘big guns’. Always hard to decide if I open a wine I personally look out for drinking or popping something (also good) that the whole family likes. As you can imagine the 2nd scenario always wins.

1 Like

Mostly pinot, but i’ll also be forced to try my uncles homemade wine as he always brings 2 bottles every year. :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Everyone is different, but for us Thanksgiving is the biggest family holiday of the year (no other distractions, like gifts, church for some, etc.). Centered solely around the meal. So wine is a big part.

4 Likes

Much variation, but in my household Thanksgiving is an event with more people, so I usually open quite a few bottles. Couple of Champagnes, a white Burg/Chablis for those that prefer white, some big dark reds for the meal - been Barolo the last few years - and a GKA/Sauternes at the end. Christmas is a smaller event, so might just open a couple of bottles.

2 Likes

Probably some Hartford Old Vine Zin because that’s what my in laws like. They prefer their Costco box wine to any GC Burg offering.

I was rearranging my cellars once and left some Hartford bottles on the counter accidentally. Next day he says, thanks for the wine, that was great! I’m like what wine. Oh the wine you left me on the counter. Ah, great, glad you enjoyed it. You got any tasting notes for me? :zipper_mouth_face:

Goedenavond!
I would say that (for most Americans), Thanksgiving is more food-centered. Christmas may or may not be, and depends on individual families’ traditions. The only hitch is that traditional Thanksgiving food has a broad range of styles, from roasted meats to sweeter dishes.

1 Like

It is usually Champ, Pinot and Riesling. And one bottle of Spanish red for my 99 year old aunt, which I bring her every year.

2 Likes

We are hosting and will have about 20 people over. I tend not to focus on pairings and just serve wines that people like to drink, since only Linda and I care about wine much. That means Champagne to start, and then a menagerie of bigger Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Riesling, Pinot, etc. I have a pretty good idea of what people like to drink and tend to serve them what they like, unless they are interested in expanding their horizons (2-3 guests fall into this category).

4 Likes

Even though I would really want to open red burgundy, I will do my best to open American wines. Likely, an aged Turley Zinfandel, such as 2014 Turley Ueberroth. Or 2010 vintage of this wine from magnum.

4 Likes

There will be some zinfandel, probably Carlisle, Rafanelli and Bedrock and a magnum of Neal.

3 Likes

Orange wine - it’s the perfect pairing for T-day foods.

4 Likes

I’m kinda Meh on Thanksgiving. Not a big fan of turkey, nor many of the sides. As such, pairing wines for Thanksgiving loses some of the joy. It’s all probably because we are both from families who are okay with cranberry from a can, Stove Top Stuffing, a can of plain corn, mashed potatoes from a box, etc.

So one year we decided to host the family Thanksgiving, and to do it up right. Everything from scratch - everything researched and planned out - wines from the cellar. It became an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond. I’m back to being Meh on Thanksgiving.

1 Like

Firs time buyer of Under the Wire, so would like to try a few of those. Sausage and Sage stuffing go very well with Zin. Thinking of a Bedrock Vineyard trifecta from Bedrock, Carlisle, and Turley. I could go Once & Future too if we manage to get through everything else.

2 Likes

Quite a few recently have started recommending rosé with Turkey and Thxgiving. I can see it.

And last year, being tired of the way they always tend to come out, I de-boned a turkey breasts and made it into a roll with herb stuffing. It was a lot of work, but a huge hit at the table.

2 Likes

A somm I know told me that demi-sec Vouvray is just great for Thanksgiving. Haven’t tried it personally. May have to do so.

1 Like