Thanksgiving - What Wine are You Serving?

I try to drink mostly American wines on Thanksgiving, though they make up a small portion of my cellar. The family and friends attending tend to like big reds.

I’ll have ready:

2009 Schramsberg Vineyards Blanc de Blancs

2010 Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel Blanc

2001 August Kesseler Rüdesheimer Berg Schloßberg Riesling Spätlese Goldkapsel

2009 Domaine du Vissoux / Pierre-Marie Chermette Beaujolais Cuvée Traditionalle

2006 DeLille Cellars Syrah Doyenne

2007 Peay Vineyards Syrah Les Titans

2007 Ridge Geyserville

Charles

I usually wait till the last minute to decide what I’m bringing to my sisters house, but not this year.

In the wine department, I’m the expert of the group. Below me are a few that will appreciate what I bring, and below that are the Yellowtail types. [wink.gif]

To start:
'12 Merry Edwards Sauv Blanc

With dinner:
'08 Carlisle Zin Carlisle
'08 Bedrock Wine Co. Syrah Lauterbach Hill

Last year I did the battle of the '10 Zin Monte Rosso from Bedrock and Carlisle, so my taste-off tradition continues.

We are hosting a dozen family members. I think of this and July 4th as the most American of holidays, so always serve American wines. No real wine geeks among the group, but I always like serving some of my favorite producers:

2013 Scherrer Dry Rose
2010 Dehlinger Chard
2010 Ghostwriter Wodruff Pinot
2010 August West Rosellas Pinot

We have a communal Thanksgiving dinner after the noon service at church. Likely we will have both roasted and smoker turkeys. I am taking a spinach casserole and “party mashed potatoes” (with sour cream, etc.). The wines:
for a bubbly either Cava, Cremant de Limoux or Bugey Cerdon
2012 Alex Gambal Bourgogne Chardonnay
Scherrer Dry Rose
possibly Carter Pinot Noir from Oregon or a Beaujolais Cru
and for an American wine a Zinfandel–from Amador or a Robert Biale from Napa

Should have stated we do steak for dinner, no fans of turkey in our dinner group

Hmmm…probably nothing, since it’s at the in-laws. I’ll bring something as a consolation prize to myself.

Big party at my house with 12+ adults and a passel of kids. My guests are pretty knowledgeable, and appreciate anything I throw at them.

So it’s an opportunity to break out the big guns and do something really fun. Probably will start with a few Loire whites and older/softer Bordeaux with apps (which are very heavy). Then I’ll crack a few old Barolos and monster Cali cabs/cab blends for the big meal. Or I could go Burgundy (have a few Gros Richebourgs of varying familial combinations and vintages that could be a fun quasi-vertical). Decisions decisions!!

small gathering at our house, with my mother-in-law (quasi gourmet chef) bringing two kinds of gumbo.

wine: 2012 Enkidu Bedrock Vyd. Zinfandel, 2007 MF Richter Graacher Himmelreich Spatlese

beer: Ballast Point Sculpin, PtE, Blind Pig, and a growler of fresh-hop IPA from the neighborhood tap room

there might be some port, but with Holiday Open House Fri/Sat i might have to take it easy.

I’m thinking of going all sparkling, in-laws will probably have a couple pinots as well.

Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs
Under the Wire Sparkling Zinfandel
Schramsberg Cremant

Marc Hebrart Brut Champagne
2005 Thomas Pinot Noir Dundee Hills
2012 Rhys Family Farm Pinot Noir

Champagne during prep, then Papapietro Perry pinot and Turley zin. Haven’t finalized which exactly. Need to decide so I can stand the bottles for a few days.

In the Fall/harvest motif, I’m planning on a fermented cider to start. Probably Cali bubbles, then a domestic white or two…Zin is most definitely in the plans for the main courses, though!

That actually reminds me… I have a Foreau Vouvrey that is ready to go. I can’t go Cali all the time.

My proposed list:

Whites
2009 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis 1er Cru Fourchaume
2011 Liquid Farm Chardonnay Four

Reds
2010 Kistler Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
2010 Alban Vineyards Syrah Reva Alban Estate Vineyard

Backup
2009 Pine Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley

Smaller get together, my parents will contribute a couple and I’ll bring:

2002 Huet Vouvray Demi-Sec Le Mont
2011 Simon Bize Bourgogne Les Perrières

Scott, those sound yummy. Are you planning on PnP, or a decant? How many drinkers are you serving?

Best,

J

after visiting Benovia winery in august, wil pour their 2012 chardonnay, RRV zin, and probably one of their SVD pinots. Start with oregon or washington riesling. Keep it all American

A magnum of Schramsberg BdB
Several bottles of 2013 Alexander Valley Dry Rose of Sangiovese
2012 Brittan Vineyard PN Gestalt
Still figuring out dinner whites (An early Muscat, SB, Chardonnay and Dry Gewurzrtraminer)
Finishing with 2009 Morlet Billet Doux

I’ll pobably PnP the chards and PN but that Alban will be sitting in the decanter starting that morning.

I need to keep it quaffable and plentiful, so esoteric whites; I’m thinking a Savoie, Loire SB (or possibly from Saint Bris), Torrontes, Finger Lakes Gewurz or Riesling, maybe a Prosecco.

Red; possibly Turley Juveniles or Cru Beaujolais.