Thanksgiving thread #3. Bringing a questionable wine

But then what will he drink?!

Sparkling Apple Cider [rofl.gif]

Or expensive versions of the same things purchased of mailing lists! Break out the QC!

I just try to bring crowd friendly stuff, that will not get me vexed if I see people pouring one bottle into a glass with another (different) wine in it. Or that won’t bum me out if there is a lot of wasted wine (full glasses at the end of dinner). I do find that among my extended family, even the non drinkers LOVE dessert wines, so that’s a great opportunity to open multiples of those.

It’s just my nuclear family this year, so won’t have that problem.

I guess every crowd is different, but geeky wines do pretty well in my family. No one except me would select these wines if they were buying, but they are usually well received. The main thing is just that quality speaks. Most people buy supermarket wine, nothing very expensive, so when you put a higher quality wine in front of them, whether it’s a Burgundy or a Cali cab or Gonon or Beaujolais or Barolo they tend to like it because it is objectively better wine. Maybe it helps that we have a crowd of adventurous eaters and drinkers. The only exception is sweet wines which are a hard sell in my family.

Overall it sounds like everyone just needs to know their “market,” know what the crowd they will be with will like to drink.

I opened the Family Farm and made it a show - “Smell any merde? What? No merde?” - and it was classic. Probably the best Rhys red I’ve opened!

Ha! I took the SQN …And an Eight Track tonight for dinner with some friends and it was terrible. Luckily I was redeemed with a 1990 Vouvray SQN Moelleux.

I wasn’t as lucky as you were. Even the non-Geeks had something to say about it. pileon

Ugh. At least Rhys will replace it. I had three bottles of one of their early Alesia Syrahs that were all bretty, fecal messes. They were instantly replaced.

I play safe, with really good Cru Bourgeois. This year a 2010 Lanessan, and three people asked me where they could find it.