Thanksgiving 2012

[rofl.gif]

Maybe if I’d said “wolf” instead of “dog” . . .

And that was MY humor, which you and apparently a couple of others don’t get. That’s ok. I have no beef with you - you and I have had some nice exchanges on occasion.

But I would still love to meet your parents. After I meet you, of course. flirtysmile

Injecting Stone Double Bastard under the skin prior to frying has become a family tradition.

Then we drink the remainder of the Double Bastard 3 liter as we try really hard not to burn the house down. Deep fried Double Bastard turkey is tremendous.

Unfortunately, Merrill, they’re still dead – but I’d love to meet you and tour your vineyard some day. I’m overdue for a visit to the Witch and Han Solo, come to think of it. Maybe after that apartment building is finished across the street from them. [cheers.gif]

Rodney, I’d be interested in knowing the details of your cook. I spatchcock chicken on my BGE all the time and LOVE the results. Yesterday, I did a first time trial run of a 15lb. turkey and thought the results were ok, but not ready for prime time. If I had more time, I would experiment some more, but since we are bumping up against a deadline, we’ll probably do the tried and true oven roasted. (FWIW, I did mine with the grill maximally raised with the extender and about 400-425 and it came up to temp at about 1.5 hours. Just S&P seasoning and no brining for this quick trial. Meat was moist, but dry by my chicken expectations and the skin over the breast never crisped up.)

Chris

Mark,

You win. That sounds and looks incredible.

I’m going to the Farmer’s market this morning to try to order a small Heritage turkey from Pollo Real.

Just saw a 3L of this beer @ our local place up here in the foothills! Love deep fried turkey too!

No Turducken for us this year: It’s Turbacon all the way. Next year we will do a Turduckenbacon.

Damn, beat me to it! [berserker.gif]

I’m going with a spatchcocked turkey on the BGE this year as well, although I’m prepping it using Alton Brown’s dry brine. I might try to pull off the panzanella on the BGE, but my fear is that it will get too hot.

Very good point.

Hidden Camera Video: Shocking Truth Behind Butterball Thanksgiving Turkey

Butterball Abuse: Undercover Mercy For Animals Investigation Reveals Cruelty

Best advice yet:

That’s piss your pants, tears running down your face funny! (Does Leo know about the Jadot?)

+1 - she had a really nice kitchen!

Do you only inject the Double Bastard under the skin (literally) or also into the meat of the turkey before frying?

I have a funny story about another Stone Brewing Company product with a Thanksgiving tie in. They make ”Arrogant Bastard Ale". I gave a larger bottle to a co-worker for Christmas one year.

As a “trophy” to hold over my head he kept it on top of a file cabinet next to a window receiving full 11th floor westward sun. The building is also built on the highest point in Northern VA. At least 6 or 7 years later and even after I had left the company, they came into the office after the long Thanksgiving weekend to a horrific smell. The bottle had exploded sending glass everywhere. The cleaning crew refused to do anything about it.

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

I wish I could take credit as a calculating evil genius, however I truly gave it to him as a friendly subtle joke, but most importantly for him to drink since it is a seriously good American ale. He thought it was funnier to be able to point to the bottle and say, “see what Ken gave me”.

She’d perfectly fit in with the Berserkers

I start with a very fresh, local 15lb bird (the benefits of living in the stix). Not only does my poultry man deliver the goods, he also does the butchering for me so I dont have to deal with that either. I brine the bird overnight*. The day of the cook, I inject it with a homemade mix of apple cider, cider vinegar, honey and the rub*. After that, I rub* it liberally. For the cook, I do a standard indirect set-up and I also foil the sides of my grate to prevent burning the edges (see my pics). I also tie the wings back to avoid burning and wrap the leg tips in foil. Onto the BGE at 375-400 for 1.5 to 1.75 hours. I exclusively use Weekend Warrior Blend by Wicked Good Charcoal…in addition to it being my favorite lump by far, they will ship 3 bags at a time from their website direct to your house for the same net cost of retail and you dont have to schlepp it around.

*Fred’s Music & BBQ is just 30 minutes from my house and it is a great source for all things BBQ. I am a big fan of their Tasty Licks line of products and use both their brining kit and their traditional turkey rub for this cook. I also use Fred’s video on Sptachcock Turkey as the basis for my cook. http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/

Serve with pinot noir…lots of good pinot noir.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!