Terroirist: Wines of Seyssuel

Quite an interesting article by Andrew Jefford in Decanter on the long-lost wines of Seyssuel:
Decanter:Seyssuel

which most of you will recognize as Vins de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes. I’ve always been hoping for a good article on this area. This one will have to do.

Most of the ones I’ve tried from here are good/interesting. But several weeks ago I had a Blanc from Stephane Montez that was stunning. It was a dead ringer for a good Viognier from Condrieu. It was, in fact (confirmed by Stephane) a blend of Cugnette (Jacquere) and Chard. Strange varieties for this area. Just goes to show how much I know!!

Anyway, quite a good read. Other writers are sure to follow Andrew’s lead and write about Seyssuel. Like the pack usually does.
Tom

I’ve been enjoying a 2009 Vignobles de Seyssuel ‘Sixtus’ [VdP Collines Rhodaniennes] rouge the last couple of nights. It’s a sneaky wine, leading off austere and tight, and then showing more as it gets some air. A restrained 12.5% abv, with a bouquet of tea and a taste of red raspberries. Earth and salt here too. No sediment. This is a project by Louis Cheze and some others, and its a tiny vineyard not far from Cote Rotie that gets all the fancy treatment: 100% syrah at 30 hl/a yields from south facing aspects, hand harvested, destalked, foot trodden (!), small vat fermentation, and then malo in small casks. Pretty beet color, medium bodied, and some good acidity. This could have been used for more than sipping with the feet in the pool on a 104F day. I bet it was better younger, and give it a B+

I’ve not tried Louis Cheze’s wines before but Lermouth had recommended them. 2009 seems good in the Northern Rhone so far. Even though there seems to be a lot of modern techniques, I think the AFWE would like this too. I don’t think it’s consistently imported but perhaps 2015 is stateside (I saw a writeup in the newest WS on the blanc)

Had an 06 and 08 Sotanum from Vins de Vienne the other night, both nice wines but a little pricey

I know the Seyssuel “L’ Ame Soeur” by Stephane Ogier quite well, and it’s a very fine wine with great finesse, fine length and usually at least 12-15 years of aging potential … often as good as the (regular) Cote-Rotie (and not really ceap). Definitely a terroir to watch.

I know the Seyssuel “L’ Ame Soeur” by Stephane Ogier quite well, and it’s a very fine wine with great finesse, fine length and usually at least 12-15 years of aging potential … often as good as the (regular) Cote-Rotie (and not really cheap). Definitely a terroir to watch.

Seyssuel is currently under review by the Inao to become the 18th AOC in the Côtes-du-Rhône. More info here but in French:
https://lp.ca/774uw4?sharing=true

Cool. I liked those Vins de Vienne wines.