Tempier Rose - worth extended cellaring?

The 2016 Pradeaux was also a wine that needed about a year to settle down and fully open. It appears the 2018 is even a bit more muscular at present.

-Al

I am with Hardy on this - had a 20 year old Terre Brune rose a few years ago that was stunning.

Alan one day when you least expect it I will whip out the bottle of 2017 you brought and we’ll test the proposition :slight_smile:

There’s a good chance in 20 years I won’t remember this discussion :wink:

Alan,

I’ve got a 12 and a 14 stashed away, let’s find an excuse to get together and try them with the current release and see how they compare.

I’m a big fan of aged Tempier. I have been looking at the 2002 to 2006 vintages over the last year and for me the 2002 is the only fully mature example right now. I have tucked some 2004, 2005 and 2006 away for another five plus years.

Jancis wrote a really interesting article on this subject a few years ago, here Tempier – 30-year-old rosé | JancisRobinson.com

In the interests of full and clear disclosure I do sell aged Tempier white and rose (and of course red) from time to time. Although, I am generally met with total confusion when I offer people 15 year old rose!

Martin

I remember that article by JR, that’s the article that got me interested in Tempier Red and Rose a few years ago but my holdings are way too young for consumption now.

I like the white with age, too. I’ve recently had the '04 and '99. Both far exceeded my expectations.

Also- Thanks for sharing that Jancis link. It is a rec’d read for those wondering about aged Tempier rosé… I want to try that 88’!

I think it can also be vintage dependent. The '17 is so delicious now I am having trouble leaving some behind but will. '15 and '16 were easier to put away for future consumption.

Next heat wave? :slight_smile: I’ve got a couple 17s left, and now 18, that would be a nice semi-vertical.

We too have been ageing our Tempier Rose 2-3 years and find it really palate pleasing. I like Alan’s comment on making semi-verticals. Gotta try that.

Thanks for that link, cool article. It kind of answers my question if the domaine cellars, which it appears they don’t do much of due to lack of space.

Hardy, do you remember what year your ancient one was?

I’ve typically had the most success drinking 2 vintages prior to the current release. So with 2018 out this summer I am on to 2016. Has been a great rule the last few years but I have found the 2016 to be especially tight right now. Just not giving much at all.

Anyone else had that same experience?