Telltale Signs of Watering Back?

Tom - How do you know which wines were watered?

In the past – not so much in the last decade – I had California wines where the acid seemed to stick out; it wasn’t integrated at all. It was suggested that this was a sign of overacidification or adding it at the wrong stage. But I’d have no idea how to detect whether a wine had been watered back, unless it tasted pruny/raisiny but was dilute. And I can’t ever recall a wine like that.

Well, that wad the basic meaning if what I said. But, as usual, it gets taken to extremes to prove me wrong by those who strive to always be right. Berserk away all.

Brian - That old saw that grapes often don’t fully ripen in France hasn’t really been true in recent decades – probably not since the mid-80s. Sheesh! Today you have many Bordeauxs and Rhones wines well over 14%!

Now, you might prefer riper fruit than they typically get in northern areas like the Loire or Burgundy, but there have been few years in the last generation where French winemakers in the prime areas would say their grapes didn’t fully ripen. And there have been years like '11 in California, where some people struggled to reach the ripeness levels they wanted.

Adam,

Is your way of watering back the norm? What do you do with the displaced juice? And why not simply add the pH adjusted water to the juice?

Not so funny story I heard from a grower friend…a well known/expensive Napa Cab label buys his fruit by the ton and they control pick dates. They got their pick from him at 40+ brix, so the grapes were raisins. You can see where this is headed…desiccated ripe fruit would require a huge water addition, but the fruit was cheap for the winery. Obviously, the winery isn’t following your formula.

I heard the same complaint ten years ago from a grower who sold to Rosenblum Cellars for a single-vineyard bottling. He said they wanted riper and riper grapes each year, which meant less and less money for the grower.

That works for you because your starting with grapes that have reasonable chemistry to begin with. A lot of times I’d try wines that clearly have ripeness/alcohol/acid ratios that nature could rarely if ever produce.

I thought the standard ‘96 point’ formula was to pick very late, add water so the fermentation can finish, then de-alcoholise to get the wine down to the ‘sweet spot’ of, say, 14.5%. So it’s water addition plus de-alcoholisation plus (presumably) acid addition. Actual winemakers should chime in here.

John – yes, precisely … at a certain point, flavor profile just doesn’t seem to match the alcohol percentage. Pruny, raisiny, porty, things like that, which just seem not to work out. Exceptions to the rule, of course, and plenty of wines that don’t hit that tipping point.

Yoy thought wrong.

Way to stick Tuite.

Corey,

I have no idea if my way of watering back is the norm. I know of a number of people that do it the way that I do, but I know some that do not. As far as the bleed off, we either give it away or send it down the drain. The goal is to make sure that the skin to juice ratio remains the same.

Adam Lee

I don’t know about that, Berry. I’ve seen some really odd numerical combinations in my time. Brix near 30 with TAs in the 11s and pHs in the 2.9 range. And vice versa, with low brix and high pHs. Nature can be funny at not always friendly.

Adam Lee

Mason,

Ever figure out what a 0.6& water addition will do? It would take the wine from 15% alcohol to 14.91%. Virtually no difference. My guess is that they watered a few lots back a good bit more, didn’t water other lots and it averaged out at 0.6% water addition.

Unless they mean they reduced the alcohol 0.6% by adding water…then that’s a different story.

Adam Lee

Exactly. The comment about unripe fruit was what got me started.

I wouldn’t call that a “telltale sign.” I’d call it (a rare) full disclosure!

Funny duscussion. People who like European wines rail on California wines for being ripe. Then defend their wines saying that they haven’t been unripe in decades. Straddling both sides of the fence here guys. [pillow-fight.gif]

I don’t see the inconsistency. There’s a happy medium on both continents. Once upon a time, there were a lot of European wines going in the bottle at levels very low by today’s standards – maybe 11.5% or 12%. Some were not very good. That’s rare today.

Meanwhile, you have Napa cab going from an average of 13% or 13.5% in the 70s to a pretty routine 14.5% or 15% now. Bordeaux has been guilty of moving too far in that direction, too. I’m not crazy about these bigger wines in either place.

If anyone isn’t sure what “ripe” is – we haven’t had any hot water (and now today, no electricity) at our home since Monday — I am pretty sure I smell rather ripe now. LOL

Adam Lee

[rofl.gif]

I have hot water Adam, you can use my shower.

Or perhaps like one of those underripe, brett-infested Loire reds.