Tell me about Sauzet, please

Always go to the importer’s site, in this case VB | Etienne Sauzet, not the producer’s site, which is usually woefully out of date (if it’s even functional, which in this case it appears it is not).

Is the connection to Sauzet purely alphabetical?

1 Like

Yep the 14 especially is particularly dynamite!

Overall they do make good wine, but they are still stuck on natural cork so there’s more bottle variation than I prefer. They also don’t typically overachieve in any given vintage or vineyard.

1 Like

I suffered more premox from them than anyone besides Matrot, but haven’t had any with age on them in about 12 years.

great holdings and super winemaking, but stay away from 1996-2012 or so, once again safe. Not sure when their premox experience ended. Can be fabulous wines.

Completely coincidental. I own a lifetime supply of Saxum so I need increased diversification and I had my first Sauzet Puligny at least 47 years ago. There is an auction lot of Sauzet that I noticed today that I am thinking of bidding on, but I did not want anyone to think that I am a traitor to the cause of wine with flavor.

1 Like

Their Montrachet is from Thenard, isn’t it?

2 Likes

I’ve had advanced 14s from Sauzet in the last year. I’m told that since 2017 they’ve been more consistent, but I remain hesitant for that reason.

Thanks. I haven’t had Sauzet’s Montrachet but have had bottles labeled as Thenard.

1 Like

As others have said, more variable (partly due to natural cork) but since about 2009 I’ve had “only” ~10% perhaps a bit advanced, and none oxidised. Certainly a better hit rate than Ramonet or Boillot. The Chevalier and Montrachet are sometimes great, sometimes not. The most consistent, and perhaps “best” wine in the portfolio is the Combettes, which (alongside Leflaive) is the best example from that vineyard. The vines run right next to Lafon’s Charmes in Meursault. The Bienvenue is excellent but very hard to find, and I believe many think the Batard is also “reference” standard (I’m not a massive fan of Batard in general, so withhold judgment). The Champ Canet is really solid, but without the flair and concentration of Combettes (or flasher 1er Cru vineyards).

1 Like

Can I pick some up in Toronto next month?

Plebeian opinion here but I’ve only had the 1er and BBs. Been buying and drinking the BB since the ‘12 vintage and found it delicious, reliable, and consistent with vintage variation. Still good value. The Combettes is very good, had it in multiple vintages since ‘08 and never had premox problems. Buy the BB and see what you think and age the 1er s a few years. A good producer undervalued for Burgundy IMHO.

2 Likes

Friends,
I must admit to always having been a fan of domaine SAUZET. Premox hit the wines badly in 96 (as somebody else in this thread already mentioned). To me COMBETTES, Bienvenues , Batard and Champ Canet are the standouts and I find them to always deliver. The PUILIGNY VILLAGES 2018 was a disappointment however. Perhaps I drank it too soon.

A 2020 BB last week was fine. Surprisingly rich for an entry level.

1 Like

I am a fan of Sauzet, but the wines are getting very expensive now even at release price. Which other producers do people like in this slightly richer, less reductive style? (I have a good PYCM allocation to cover off the steely, reductive side…)

I’m a big fan of that BB, it’s good stuff

Friends,

Compared to LEFLAIVE and- to a lesser degree- RAMONET SAUZET’S wines are bargains…???
SINCERELY JOHAN

Alas, we are all sold through this year - but I’d be happy to share a bottle with you!

I love Sauzet because the wines are unapologetically full throttle to a level matched only by DRC Montrachet, though without that degree of exoticism. Happily the style had not changed since I started enjoying them at release with the early 90s vintages, and so they remain refreshingly unique and unruly in a corner of the wine world that has become quite boring in many respects. Sadly, premox has been an issue though I have experienced less than some others have reported.

For me the great strengths are Combettes, Bienvenue and Montrachet- and especially the Bourgogne Blanc which has a magnificent degree of power and richness. I think it may well be the finest Bourgogne Blanc available- evidenced by the fact in many markets it is easier to get your hands on the grand crus than the Bourgogne Blanc.

They also tend to show well young- vintage depending to some extent.

1 Like