Tasting With "The Todd" Anderson

Ghost Horse - the wine(s) is/are legit.

As soon as Van, Dave, and/or The Todd get here, let’s count on some crazy Berserker Exclusive deal, huh?

i actually found Todd Anderson to be both convivial and quite interesting, like a business-sensible HST if you will. his generosity is now the stuff of legend.

02 Ghost Horse may very well be the best Napa Cab i have tasted, and that is saying something. maybe a few wines would be worthy of comparison, maybe? not ever sure i’d even choose the 04 or 05 Spectre over the 2002 GH. that wine took me places.

That’s because you were tooooo busy trying to get all the carnivores fed

I gotsta do what I gotsta do…

It might have been right up your alley. I, too, missed it, but I don’t feel slighted, as the '94 Spottswoode (do I have the vintage correct?) was my WOTN. It was nice, I liked it.

Amen brother, it was sublime. Although the 2004 Apparition was also just UNREAL.

It wasn’t just Todd, but it was everyone involved that made it fantastic. His wife ws just as gernerous and friendly. It made for an absolutely fantastic time.

Pretty awesome wine. Thanks to Rob for bringing it. He kept me glass full while I was manning the grills.

I’ve done a lot of tours and have been treated very well over the years, but Todd’s generosity of his time is what impressed me the most. Many will pour you drunk hoping to get your business, but let’s face it, time is money and Todd gave quite freely of his. As Cris said, it was so enjoyable we didn’t want to leave, so we passed on other tours.

Todd, I hope to see you here! You’ve made a number of friends! [thumbs-up.gif]

and the Petite is insane!

The website has also been tamed down a bit…

After The Todd is finished reading this thread he may have to buy a bigger cowboy hat.

I kid, only because of his purely down to earth discussions, by the time we finished our conversations with Ronene, Van & Todd I left with a new uncle for my twin girls. grouphug

I am not aware of anyone born as a yooper that isnt down to earth after you get past the first layers of the onion

Cheers,
dave

Nice to see Todd get some kudos for a change. I never quite understood the vitriol thrown his way. Sure, the GH brand is over the top. So what? Todd never forced this on anyone. I am sure that a few ultra-rich people bit and probably enjoyed themselves. The ACV wines are consistently good, and the prices beat almost anything else of similar quality in Napa. He does not charge for tastings, and most people have nice experiences at the winery. A little eccentricity is a fun thing, as long as you’ve got everything else right. Can’t wait to get up to visit the Todd soon (and I will open up an '02 ACV Cab tonight in tribute!).

A Yooper, eh? That explains a lot

I am awaiting an apology.

Michael Bowden, 2000 Ghost Horse is not indicative of the quality of the winery. That was the first vintage and it is very average wine, as I reported last year.

That being said, Ghost Horse wines are outstanding. I put my money where my mouth was last year. And with the help of Mike Pobega, it came out on the top of the list of all of the wines in a BLIND cult cab tasting. And that was the cheap ($500) wine.

Anyone still shitting on Ghost Horse has not tasted the wines. Because if you have tasted them, you would never say the wines are a joke because they are clearly not.

I just wish Todd would take it down a notch.

I think he has…he spoke of your tasting and said that it made a difference in the future tone of the “bloggers.”

Jane, if I read this correctly, you are saying that this tasting shut the blogging pundits up?
What it did prove was the wine was good.
Dan put this thing together on his own beliefs and it (GH) came off swimmingly. If some of those ‘cults’ showed up that night we may having a different discussion.
I said it then, and will say it again, good for him on its (GH) showing that night.

Come on Mikey, this ain’t politics don’t keep us in suspense…

[whistle.gif] [wink.gif] [berserker.gif]

I don’t know. The Ghost Horse was good but came nowhere near justifying its tariff.

What really stood out about that night was the dismal (or worse) quality of so many of the “cult” wines (eg Futo, the Dalla Valle Maya, the Abreu). I came away thinking the only one there was any chance I would spend my money on was the 2005 Merus.

In terms of overall quality, the night was, to me, the biggest disappointment of all the CLONYC dinners I attended. Certainly nowhere nearly as good as the Thomas Brown nights, the Cultish Cabs night, the To Kalon night, the 70s Cab night, the $50 and less cab night. You get the idea. Being WOTN on a disappointing night is nothing to get too jazzed up about. I believe a barrel sample of my upcoming 2008 would have been WOTN were it at that dinner. Seriously.

No mystery Jack, other than a wine showing well, that’s priced 3x too much.
35 bills, or 10, or even 5 beans better be spent on an otherworldly experience.
(I’ve waited 6 months to ue that word in a posting. Thanks!) hitsfan