Tasting Note: Gravner Ribolla 2009

Interesting! I say you should just go for it; open it up with zero expectations. A well-stored and well-made orange Ribolla wine is more than capable of lasting 14 years. I opened a 2003 Radikon recently that was just off the chain (in a good way). I would recommend handling aged orange wines like red wines- i.e. watch out for sediment and decant prior to drinking. The tannins present from the grape skins tend to precipitate out over time and can make for a muddy drink. So handle the bottle carefully. Update us when you open it!

Sorry for the small necro - threading.

Had a glass of this yasterday evening, from a Magnum. At the same place I had the Ribolla 2003 roughly 1 hear ago (from Magnum as well).

Had it poured as soon I sat down, started to drink it 30+ minutes later, paired with onion soup with 16 months old comte cheese.

The color is always mesmerizing, this one was a bit more reddish (toward copper) than the 2003 who was more deep amber. Nose was pretty on the same style as the 2003 (from what I remember) but palate was different, more straight and focused (for a wine of this kind). Wouldn’t say the 2003 is better than the 2009 (maybe marginally) but in a tasting the 2009 should definitely come before the 2003, and I also think the former has a wider range of food pairig.

EDIT: I think it was actually more than 30 minutes since i menaged to eat another course before it, plus some chit chat. Might’ve been over 45 minutes before my lips touched the liquid

1 Like