Taste of Washington, thoughts...

I was at this year’s TOW, faithfully spitting from start to finish. I’ve been to the event since 2002 or 2003. Can’t remember which.

I don’t have hard numbers on the number of wineries that have poured in previous years compared to this year, but when I was making a list of recommendations it did seem like there were a number that I was looking for that I did not see. Quilceda Creek was the most noticeable one for me, others I noticed were Grand Reve and Cadence. I noticed because these are wineries I like to direct people towards. I was disappointed to see that Quilceda wasn’t pouring the Red Wine as I think this is a good opportunity for people to check out their wines that will otherwise not have the ability to. Can’t blame Grand Reve for not being there. Their production is microscopic. Still, I wish they were. I did notice that K was pouring a limited selection of wines and left early. Seems a shame as they can clearly afford to pour as much wine as they want.

I personally saw a lot (as in a LOT) less drunk people this year than I have seen in previous years. I also saw a good deal of alcohol enforcement people later on in the event. There has been an increased emphasis on this in recent years and clearly this is something that should continue in order to make the event better for all concerned. It didn’t seem anywhere near as insanely crowded as, say, three years ago. I was not planning to be there for the whole time, thinking I would leave when the event either got too crowded or I saw too many crazy drunk folks. Neither happened so I stuck around until the end (and did see a staggering person or two at that point).

I think of Taste Washington in several ways. First, it is a celebration of Washington wine. It’s the largest opportunity to taste a lot of different wines to see what the wineries are all about. From a consumer perspective, it’s a no brainer. I always check out a lot of different wineries that I might not have the opportunity to taste and always discover new wines and wineries. Money well spent in my mind (although I should add that I now receive free admittance for speaking at the seminars).

From a winery perspective, I look at it as brand building. You get out in front of consumers, people get to see your face, your brand. For people who know the winery, it allows you to reconnect with them. For folks you don’t, it gives you a chance to check them out without paying for the price of a bottle. Realistically, when I was solely on the consumer side I would spend weeks going over the list of wineries and wines (literally). I still spend a lot of time doing it frankly. I think there is a lot of value in this for wineries, and watching the continued conversation on Twitter and Facebook about specific wines, I think it can be helpful.

I would suspect that perhaps the large number of people at the event and the number of drunk people at the end has made some wineries decide not to participate. I would also think that perhaps the economy has something to do with it. Wineries can pour an almost limitless amount of wine at this event. That becomes costly, as is the cost of participating. It would be worth reaching out to people who have participated in past years and did not this year to find out what that was all about. I will try to do so. I should also say too that the event goes from 12:30-7, including the trade section. This is a long, long time for wineries, especially small ones who don’t have a lot of volunteer help.

Kudos to Gramercy Cellars not only for being there for the whole event (many wineries stuck around I should add) but also for encouraging other wineries to do the same on Twitter. They also poured their reserve Syrah which they made a measly 75 cases of (yes, it’s delicious). I should also say that at Taste Tulalip which is similarly long, Bob Betz was there pouring from beginning to end (as was Grand Reve). Not sure why Betz ran out of wine this time around but I have heard a whole lot of people talking about the 2009 Cote Patriarche subsequently. Made a lot of impressions.

I hope that it continues to be a successful event for exciting people about specific wineries and Washington wine more generally. If there are reasons why wineries are deciding not to participate they need to be addressed. I think it’s critical to have the state’s best and brightest out in front of consumers continuing to keep them excited about Washington wine.

Sean,
Thank you for summing it up more eloquently than I , this was the point I was trying to make.

Jb

Sean,

I think the issue for me (note, NOT itb) is that while it’s nice to say ‘it’s a celebration of washington wine’, in tough economies where a winery is asked to pay for a slot and pour a good chunk of wine, they need to feel it’s going to be more than nebulous brand building. If they don’t see an uptick in sales, mailing list signups or something else and the economy is hurting them, I can see them passing if the cost is substantial. I don’t feel that wineries need to ‘give back’ to the public either - they make a product, we buy it. They don’t owe us anything for liking their wines. While it’s fun to meet the winemakers for the public, there are many other venues which probably make more sense for the wineries, frankly. The exception to most of what I’ve just said may well be the smaller wineries, but even then I’m not sure. After all, let’s say that you can taste, or, 40 wines over the day. There are about 200 wineries there. So someone is only ever going to taste 20% or so of the wineries present. A substantial number of people will make their favorites part of that and then some prominent names, e.g. Quilceda, etc. I wonder how much exposure an unknown winery really gets at ToW.

Finally, yes, 12:30 to 7 is, frankly far too long. The event should end at 5 since few people stop by at dinner time on a Sunday. Another option would be to split the tasting across Saturday and Sunday with something like 4 hours per day. And finally, it’s very possible that people allot a certain amount of wine and leave when it’s gone.

Here is Greg Harringtons tweet from a few days before Taste of Washington.

“Imploring all #TasteWA wineries to buck up and NOT leave early on Sunday. Give back to the customers who support us.”

Apparently he has a different opinion regarding giving back to the customers who support WA wine.

Tom

And that’s fine. Greg’s a nice guy - I’ve met him briefly once. And he’s ITB while I’m not. If you’re trying to say he’s somehow Right and I’m Wrong you might want to look here.

I guess I’m leery of the idea that people who make product that we enjoy somehow owe us something. They work very hard to make a product that many of us like or love. We support them by giving them money and, perhaps, by spreading the word about their stuff. I don’t see why they should be beholden to us or owe us anything. And in tough times, the cost of doing those shows can, unless there’s a noticeable ROI, be a real impact on peoples’ bottom lines. I think Sean is right - if there are substantial numbers of wineries not showing or leaving directly after the VIP portion of the event the WA wine commission should figure out why - because that’s not been the case in the past.

Rick, if I think he was right and you were wrong I would have said so. All I said was he seems to have a different take on wineries “giving back” to the people who support them than you do. Cheers!

Tom

Nothing scientific here but having been the last 6 or 7 years I would say the number of wineries leaving early has remained consistent and not grown. I don’t think wineries not showing up is indicative of anything. We all know why QC does not need to be there. Perhaps a better indicator would be the number of participants.

Tom

But QC used to show. That’s my point - if wineries that used to show are not signing up anymore for the tasting (and it’s more than a handful or it’s prominent wineries) then there’s an issue. But I’ve not been for 2 or 3 years - there might not be an issue at all, really.

Our thinking on Taste WA is that WA is still a really young wine industry. Taste WA is a fantastic place for people to quickly and easily try many wines of the state. Each year, many fly in from out of town to see what we are doing. And if we want to succeed as an industry, I feel all levels need to participate. It has to be an event in which established players attend as well as the up and comers. And to put on a great showing, wineries need to show their best examples.

Also, Taste WA is a great place to see customers who many not visit Walla Walla. I really enjoy it. As far as the “we’re so cool we poured about all of our wine by 2 pm” thing, that’s lame. Finally, we didn’t see many out of control people this year. It’s was a great time.

See ya’ll next year.

The overall vibe seemed way more in control this year than the last few years. People appeared more relaxed and less frantic. Very different than 2009 (the last Taste we participated in). This year we brought the same number of cases that we had in 2009. In 2009 we were there until the very end and actually had to pack unopened bottles back out to our cars. By 6pm in 2009 I can honestly tell you I was cutting more people off than pouring wine. Watching people stumble around the venue making themselves graveyard blends from the empty bottles left on tables was a little disconcerting, and one of the main reasons we did not participate in 2010. This year we wanted to give Taste another shot. We brought the same volume of wine that we had in 2009. We assumed (incorrectly) that this would be more than enough. We have a tasting room in Woodinville that is open 7 days a week from 12-5 and assumed this would make people less inclined to visit our booth because our wines are so readily available in this area. I completely agree with Greg and other posters who have pointed out that if you are going to participate then you should participate from the start to the finish. I was embarrassed that we ran out of wine so early. I did not think I was cool. I thought I was letting the consumer down. In the future we will bring more wine, even if we have to pack it back out with us. Thanks to those who stopped by. I apologize to those we missed.

Mike, sorry I do not know this…but what is the name of your winery?

Thanks, Tom

I don’t know Mike, but he is the winemaker of Mark Ryan. http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mike-macmorran/13/96a/bb

FWIW, I am glad that ToW is less than a drunk-fest these days. Not that I am above a good drunk-fest once in a while, but pretty sure I was the only spitter a few years back.

I sell wine here in Oregon. We have part of the Taste Washington show coming to Portland on May 1st. There is a trade portion and then the consumer portion. I am looking forward to attending. We have not had an Oregon winery event like this here in many years. What they have gone to is numerous AVA tastings that work quite well. I just went to the Chehalem Mountain AVA tasting about a week ago. It give you a chance to compare. There were also about 35 wineries pouring so pretty easy to talk to people behind the tables. From my aspect I feel that our Oregon Wine Board is nowhere near as good as the Washington counterpart.

Tom,
Mark hired me in 2008 to make his wines. Prior to that I was the assistant winemaker at Delille.

Scott,
I’m also not above a good drunk-fest. I’m all for people having a great time I just get concerned about people leaving any event, getting in a car and driving home. I put myself through school working as a bartender. On my first day behind the bar the owner pulled me aside and said “If you over serve someone and they get a DUI then that sucks for them. If you over serve someone and they get in an accident and kill someone that’s something you both have to live with for the rest of your lives.” I still use that line with new employees and the occasional tipsy patron.

This was our (JB Neufeld) first major event where we poured our wines. Initially I was a little hesitant to attend, as the fee was hefty and you can pour thru a lot of wine ending in a big invesment for a small winery like us, but I figured it would give us great exposure. And it did. Its hard for me to get away from Eastern Washington and over to the Seattle area, so I was able to meet with some key trade people while we were there which resulted in some great placements for our wines. I think it was a key event for our brand development. On another note, its just plain fun. Being in that space with so many wineries and so many consumers at the same time is kind of exhilirating. Made my wife and I feel like we finally made it to the Big Show! We’ll definitely attend for years to come.

I’m glad that you attended. For those of us looking for “new” wineries, your winery was a great find and one of the highlights of the day.

-Roger