Taste changing and collecting

Exactamundo, oh prescient one. Assuming Brian’s premise is correct, and I’m not sure it is, one might as well buy a new car in the hopes that it will be worth its purchase price 7 years from now. Fat chance.

Listen to Poppy. She and Frank Martell are auctioning off my wines in December.

If you want to buy some aged high-end CA wines at a discount (including cabs, pinots and chards), check out her auction. You can buy a few (or a bunch – even better [thumbs-up.gif] ) of lots to taste aged and not so aged CA and Washington wines.

[quote=“M Hudson”]…

So my question is, how can i select wines I like now, with a reasonable certainty of being able to sell them in the future for my cost at least.

I would think this would limit me to some of the more well known producers, with a longer track record of producing highly rated wines, or at least highly sought after wines…

M Hudson,

I had similar issues when I started getting into wine and got frustrated wanting to buy better mature French and Italian wine that was retailing at very high prices so began buying upon release to build a top cellar over time. Lately I have been selling quite a bit of Bordeaux, Burgundy and Rhone that I purchased as futures. I can tell you that on average I have not lost money and that includes considering storage costs and selling commission. I focused on top producers in both the top and off vintages and good producers in top vintages while always referring to the top critics reviews and of course scores. This has allowed me to not take an overall lose and over time focus on building the best cellar as my tastes develop and change.

Of course there is the risk that prices could fall but if you follow the international wine market and believe that as wealth grows in the developing markets they will desire prestigious European wines particularly Burgundy and possibly Rhone (Bordeaux ship has already sailed) then you should have the odds in your favor.

Efrain