Svalbard, Norway - a trip of a lifetime

I thought you’re never suppose to piss where you sleep?

Nice pix. But how were the Norwegian rieslings?

I drank a grand total on one shot of some Swedish liqueur during the 10 days on the ship. They had decent wine and beer, but I chose to abstain. I would have skipped the shot as well, but it was ceremonial, and everyone drank it.

These are amazing - wow!

Still thousands of photos to go through. Found some amazing bear pictures in Laura’s files today.
IMG_6067.JPG

More birds-Arctic Tern
IMG_1310.JPG

Glaucous Gull
IMG_1311.JPG

Great pics thanks for sharing.

Gorgeous photos, David! Laura’s polar bear image is especially striking. Thanks for sharing!!

My bear photos did not suck… :wink:
IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_1308.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

These are amazing - what a trip!

Thanks for sharing, looks amazing.

your bear photos are quite striking, too! amazing!

Wow. Great pics. Appreciate you sharing!

Been watching these go by on FB, but it’s great to see them together. What kind of camera equipment did you and your wife use for these shots?

David, how cold was the weather you encountered? Any words of wisdom on clothing? Also, how big a lens did you use to get those fine photos? Thanks very much!

Hi guys. So first, the weather was gorgeous. It was 40-50 degrees F 24 hours a day. Normally it’s gloomier with more mist/rain, but we were insanely lucky. That said you still need relatively cold weather gear because of all the standing around, and the zodiac rides. Waterproof is needed due to spray and Wellington boots are necessary for the landings, which are often in several inches to a foot of water.

As for the camera gear, Laura and I have identical Nikon D5200 cameras, and share 4 lenses. We have the “kit” Nikkor 18-140, a Nikkor 70-300 (Laura’s primary lens on the trip), a Tamron 11-16 (barely used it, except for some wide glacier shots), and my new baby, the Nikkor 200-500 which captured most of the intense close ups.

Laura took this with the 70-300 lens at a bird cliff near the end of our trip.
Mother and child.jpg