Summer GAZPACHO

It’s getting hot in Berlin this week. Time for a Gazpacho.

Fair to say its not completely like the original version, as I made some adaptions which suits casa Zwick better. No sherry vinegar, no white bread, no green pepper and I also don’t sieve the soup before serving. Also I don’t add little cubes of bell pepper, cucumber, onion on top, in my view this fancy stuff suits restaurants better. For me more important is that it is cold, delicious and enough liquid consumption for a very hot summer day. BTW, I used turkish/spanish red pepper, they are smaller than the regular bell peppers, but has more flavor.

Optional you can add more vinegar and water.

Ingredients

1,2kg tomatoes

1 cucumber

3 cloves garlic

1 red or green pepper

1 onion

100-150ml olive oil

3-4 tbsp vinegar

1 tsp sugar

1-2 tsp salt

cayenne/chilli flakes

500ml cold water

Preparation

1. Ingredients are ready

1. Peel the cucumber and remove the core with a teaspoon

1. Remove the white inner part of the pepper

1. Chopp the onion in stripes

1. Put part of the cucumber, pepper, onion, chilli, vinegar, olive oil and tomatoes in a blender and mix. Blitz in batches.

1. Add everything to a bowl and also add crushed garlic, salt and sugar… Don’t forget water.

1. Finally add clingfilm and put in the fridge for 5-6-7h or better overnight.

1. Just before serving drizzle the soup with olive oil and serve optional with ice cubes on top. Optional you can also sieve the soup before serving, if you have problems with tomato kernels

7 Likes

Here in very hot Yucatán a staple. Hotel near me makes a lovely avocado gazpacho. Next time I dine there I’ll add a photo.

3 Likes

On my way home with a full shopping bag from the farmers’ market to make my first batch of gazpacho for the season. No sugar, water it hot peppers in mine