Suggestions for 4 or 5 days within an easy drive of SF - [update....Sonoma is the chosen direction]

Sonoma Mission Inn. Great pool, good spa. Well located including to jump over the hill to Napa. It looks like they’re running a 4 nights for 3 special. You can also join Fairmont President’s Club for free and get various benefits. About 5 minutes driving to the downtown Sonoma Plaza & its historic 225 year old mission & garrison.

I stayed in a suite in the Sheraton Petaluma and it was pretty nice, overlooks the harbor.

Farmhouse Inn has a great Spa but I think they removed the outdoor pool when they expanded. 35 minutes to the coast. 100s of wineries within a 5 mile radius. Michelin Starred restaurant on premesis.

Burkes Canoe Trips, 1/3 mile West is a trip through a more populated portion of the Russian River. Or you go to Healdsburg Russian River Adventures and float down in inflatable boats through unspoiled riparian landscape to Wohler Bridge. Either is a fun all-day excursion.

Calistoga is 35 minutes East.

Thanks. We are thinking of the Gaige House. How is Glen Ellen for a base camp? Too far what?

Drew - ‘too far’ depends on where you want to go. Glenn Ellen is more central between RRV/Sonoma Valley/Napa. You’re looking at a 1.5 hour drive to the beach (Jenner), versus probably half that from Farmhouse. However, it’s an easy run over the hill to Napa, 15 minutes to Sonoma Square, etc.

There is also some really great hiking in Sonoma Valley if that’s appealing - take a look at the Bald Mountain trail in Sugarloaf. The parking lot would be 10 minutes from Gaige House. The hike is a slog (paved a decent portion and somewhat steep), but the payoff is 360 degree views looking down into Napa and Sonoma Valleys with the SF bay and city skyline on the horizon.

Mike - thanks. How long of a hike is it? Sounds like we would like that. Good place to picnic up top?

Also, where would you eat if you were staying in Glen Ellen? Restaurant recs welcome!

See here - look under the “Extended Hikes up to 3 Hours” tab. They list it at 5.6 miles with 1500’ of elevation gain:

I’ve done the hike before as a workout - head down, ear phones in - and made it to the top in just short of 45 minutes. But I would plan for 2+ hours of hiking. Yes, you can eat at the top and there is also a picnick table near the top that has some great views and is right before the last/steepest slope to the top. Bring sunscreen and a windbreaker - it can be windy at the top!

For dinner, I would definitely do Glen Ellen Star. Fig Cafe is fun and offers free corkage for the first two bottles - you can walk to both options from Gaige House. If you want to venture a little farther, Sonoma Square is only about 15 minutes away. Girl and the Fig is the old standard (but still good), I prefer La Salette for something a little more adventurous.

[cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]