Suggestion for a red to serve at a party

Thanks guys.

Jay/ Chris, any recommendations for Zinfandel and GSM that are slightly light on their feet (ie < 15% ABV)

Yes, the good wine is usually in my office.

Zweigelt and Gruner would probably match up well.

I’m happy to give recommendations. Can you give me an idea what kinds of places you would be looking to make your purchases from? As you can imagine, there are different answers to your question if you are going to shop at Hi Time or K&L, versus Total Wine, versus the supermarket, etc.

Good question and really interesting replies. There’s usually something like a consensus about wine and food on this board, but here we have reccos for Mediterranean reds, Pinot Noirs and Cabernets! Not to mention Nebbiolo and Zinfandel. Literally all over the map.

I would go Mediterranean. Not sure I would go as heavy as Chateauneuf-du-Pape. I would look for a high quality Cotes du Rhone, something with intensity of flavor, but not the weight or alcohol of bigger Rhone reds. And just to assure as much confusion as possible, I would think a well-aged, mid-level Rioja Reserva could go well.

I haven’t cooked Indian food in decades (and of course what’s served in Assam, New Delhi and Tamil Nadu are not necessarily similar), but get carryout occasionally from a good mainstream place in Brunswick Maine. I normally go Rhone, but having just though of it will try a Rioja next time.

Dan Kravitz

http://mariettacellars.com/shop#old-vine-red, unless you’re trying to impress the boss.

What Lee said. The answer is very different for chicken Tandoori vs lamb vindaloo

Re lighter Zin, Scherrer is my favorite.

Frappato and/or Nero D’Avola

Riesling, Alsace GWT/Pinot Gris.
BUBBLES!!!

In my opinion, though some red wines can sometimes work with some Indian dishes, I don’t think red wine ever enhances an Indian meal. But that enhancement isn’t always the priority. So I’d say serve what you like and what fits your budget, choosing something not too aggressive in any characteristic - a nice crowd pleaser.

Assuming there is some spice and spice driven flavors, I’d go Lambusco for a red.

Such a wide array of Indian foods (spicy, refreshing, savory, spicy, etc). If it’s full spectrum I’d completely agree with Sarah. If you can be more specific about the dishes being served, the recco’s will get more refined for pairing and you’ll be able to more easily narrow it down. It’s sort of like asking what kind of wine to bring to a pizza joint that has 200 toppings and 10 types of crust.

I thought may be share the menu :slight_smile:
Chicken Cream Tikka
Chicken Seekh Kebab
Paneer Tikka
Fish Ajwaini (Carom Seeds) Tikka
Daal Makhani
Karahi Murgh

I wasn’t originally planning to add champagne but thinking will do that now (in addition to red). First couple of hours of the party will be really drinks and tandoori appetizers.

For spicy foods, I have found that CdP pairs pretty well and also is very approachable for groups. I think you don’t want to get to fruit forward, otherwise would recommend some pinots from California as spicy and fruit balance well. There are plenty of Burgundy options too in the fruity range. For the fish and chicken, maybe you may want to consider some Chenin Blancs from Loire or S. Africa. Some who may not normally drink wine, may try it. Difference color wines may be fun if it’s for Diwali.

Other than the Daal Makhani (I’m not a fan of yogurt or cream based dishes with wine) you have a lot to work with. If I’m reading the menu correctly the food has a lot of spices (ginger, cardamom, etc.) but not an excessive amount of heat. The lighter zin rec sounds good to me, I’d also consider a medium bodied Pinot based wine, not oaky.

I’m firmly in the riesling camp here, skip the reds. However the thread has certainly encouraged me to revisit the topic and try some pinots and lighter CdP too.

St Cosme Cote du Rhône is a great party wine…inexpensive mags make a nice presentation and easy to drink for a non wine geek crowd

Good call. The 2017 is drinking well!

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/tenuta+di+arceno+il+fauno+di+arcanum+toscana+igt/2015
2015 Tenuta di Arceno Il Fauno Di Arcanum Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (10/16/2019)
Day 1: $32 at Hennepin Lake with tax. Hello! Great at the tasting but wow on the nose. Blue currants, minerals, subtle oak, graphite, cherry and exotic spices. This wine is BALANCED. Medium plus finish and super complex. This is not only the value wine of the year but candidate for wine of the year. Beautiful!!! 93+
59% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Franc, 9% Cabernet Sauvignon, 2% Petit Verdot.
Day 2: Pencil lead, blue currants, minerals, mild oak, spice and floral notes. Medium plus finish. Not a power house wine but super complex. This is a tremendous value. 92 points (93 points)

This wine will appeal to a mass audience. WS has it at some places in NY.

I’d probably go for the Beaujolais Villages bottling from Foillard with that lineup of dishes. It is lighter and fruitier than the Cote du Py which would be lost in this meal.

I’ve had the '06 and '13 of this wine, but never thought to pair it with Indian food. It’s a big wine, high abv, and has noticeable oak influence, all things I try to avoid. A bit international in style, which lends the crowd pleasing nature you mention. Maybe with lamb chops. Admittedly, never tried the '15. Makes sense that the vintage would be more fruity and smooth.

Personal preference trumps all though.