Sub-$30 Cellar Worthy Wines From Around the World

Seems like some 2014 Chablis would fit the bill. Louis Michel and Fevre come to mind in that price range, though there are certainly others.

Produttori Barbaresco can be had for sub $30?

Speaking from experience, if you don’t already know which wines you’d want, then do not purchase them by the case. Following the same wine is overrated when that same investment in time/space/money could instead educate you in other regions/producers/vintages.

Lot’s of my favorites already mentioned; Pepierre Briords, Felsina CCR, Produttori del Barbaresco, López de Heredia, Olga Raffault, Clos de Roilette, Lannesan. I’d add Monsanto CCR, Gilbert Picq Chablis Dessus La Carriere, Foreau Domaine du Clos Naudin Vouvray Sec.

If you don’t like many of the above suggestions, you might need to reassess if you really like wine.

The base Produttori is usually $25-26. I’ve had many of the wines mentioned although generally young. I’m pretty confident I’m not buying anything that I won’t like. Part of the reason for buying 10-12 bottles of each is so I have the opportunity to truly follow these wines over time. I have plenty of ones and twos bought on recommendation.

I may end up splitting a few of the recs into 6 packs…for example Heredia Tondonia Reserva 04 and Rioja Alta Ardanza 04.

Can’t believe I didn’t mention the Pinon Vouvray. Amazing value though the fantastic 2014s are starting to shut down.

I am surprised TomHill has not chimed in!!! :astonished:

For California, he’d probably sing the praises of Qupé, Edmunds St John, and Jaffurs.

These are well-behaved, age-worthy wines (red and white, if any of the numerous TN’s are to be trusted.

He’d also most likely mention some Northern/Northeastern Italian wines…

Foradori Teroldego
Lageder Pinot Grigio Porer
St. Michele-Eppan Pinot Bianco Schulthauser

ESJ wines are good, but can be a bit difficult to understand.

Nice wines mentioned here. One should also consider some of the big Sicilian reds eh.

Aglianico is under-appreciated and available at a fair price but to really appreciate it, you must be very patient.

Barat and Piuze village Chablis.

I’m looking at the Pinon, but unsure which cuvee to get. Is it the non-dosage? The latest vintage released seems to be the '11?

RPM Gamay Noir

My notes on a 1966 Wynns Coonawarra CabSav if you need any convincing, this is a brilliant wine to age esp. at what they cost. Will do 10-20 years in a canter. But you have to like the style, try one first is my only advice, some don’t like the menthol/eucalyptus characters.

1966 Wynns Cabernet Sauvignon > - When the Sommelier had the person who brought this try the wine, his face and body language had me thinking it was shot, he sort of shrugged his shoulders and it was like just send it around and see what they think this was an amazing wine, I took one whiff and was looking at him and saying are you serious? Great colour, with minimal bricking for its age. Dark fruits, rich portiness of Xmas cake, good tannins and structure still (this is a 50 year old wine!) the classic Coonawarra characteristics showing through with menthol and eucalypt notes. Blackberry, plums on the really soft palate which left a wonderful taste in your mouth. I mentioned to someone it was like meeting an old friend, with the quirks and characteristics you loved, softened and matured with age yet still there ready to bring a smile to your face as you reminiscence.

I always considered the Wynns Coonawarra Shiraz/Cabernet to be an insanely good value. I don’t think it is available around these parts any longer. I hope that I am wrong…

Hi Daniel
I suspect others have wider experience of the range than me. Most of mine have been the standard Brut NV, though a local shop now have the vintage dated version as well. The former ages well (most, but not all the time) and is a real bargain cellaring wine if you like the style.

If you’re interested, try 2-3 and then buy and cellar more of the one you like most.

regards
Ian

Someone else mentioned Chablis too. The thing is, once you lose a portion to premox, your net cost on the good bottles will be well above $30.

I’ve never had a premoxed Louis Michel. And I think only one Billaud-Simon off bottle, which may not have actually been premox.

I certainly agree with the rec for 1er crus from these 2 producers, when you can find them under $30, which you can from time to time.

Aussie Semillons will age for 10-15 years easily.

Mt Pleasant Elizabeth
Brokenwood Single Vineyard ones
Tyrells Vat 1 (if under $30) this will do 20+
Mt Pleasant Lovedale (if under $30) this will do 20+