Storing wine in a passive cellar

My wines are also stored on a concrete floor. I know who built our house (Karen Robbins is our contractor too), but I don’t know who decided to put the concrete floor for 80% of the basement about 4 inches higher than the actual floor level. We don’t get torrential rains and wet basement often, but it would make my current storage untenable.

Dan Kravitz

Hello, LasseK: I’m situated in US earthquake country - so quakes sometimes give me and my wine tremors. The passive, concrete basement cellar holds about 3 years of every day drinkers, “drink-soon,” and collectibles wines laid down for 30+ years. Some wine bottles are binned against the south and west walls; others are still in their boxes on the east wall. The cellar space is about 10x12x10 (LWH) in a southeastern corner of a 1940’s house. The “3-M arrangement” has worked for me: Moderate light (mostly dim/dark); Moderate humidity from damp ground/rain (and there’s a small top-down vent for moderate ventilation); Moderate annual temperature (usually 45-55). Seems to work well for the plonk and the precious. Best to you. Dee B

This roughly, but with the longest keepers on the bottom in contact with the floor.

I actually just found that my floor does keep a rather cool temperature (concrete) as well. It is not a big basement, but maybe i can be a bit creative and create space on the floor for some bottles. Thanks.