Stockholm and Oslo.......all kinds of advice needed.

Well, after multiple vacation cancellations, it looks like we will finally get to Stockholm in July of 2022. Still looking for info and this thread has been a treasure trove!

Cheers!
Marshall [thankyou.gif]

1 Like

Marshall - I was “home” in July to visit family as usual. And whenever I come home, I’m always craving the classics, so I rarely explore the new cuisine or new restaurants. I want my Cod with horseradish and clarified butter, my Biff Rydbergs, my Wallenbergare, my shrimp sandwiches etc. But we did manage to go to one of the new cooler spots for dinner, Schmaltz. It was great, smaller dishes with interesting cocktails.

Every year I continue to be taken aback by how cosmopolitan my old hometown is these days. It wasn’t like that when I grew up there in the 70’s and 80’s. It was always a pretty city, but now it has great restaurants and venues as well. This year’s standout for me was the cocktail bar at the top of the Bank Hotel, called Le Hibou. Such a cool spot, amazing views and the drinks are amazing. Don’t miss. Bank Hotel also has a decent restaurant.

5BA5BCA3-575E-4FBE-9175-D87D7DFFA2B6.jpeg
IMG_1599.jpeg
IMG_1601.jpeg

Sadly, a few establishments had changed, one of them being the classic Wiener Cafe that I had mentioned in my previous post. Now it’s a run-of-the-mill French Bistro.

The very touristy destination Fjäderholmarna, a couple of restaurants on an island that you take a boat to from the city, is nevertheless very much worth it. The setting is gorgeous and the food was actually very good. As much as I hate “destination” things, this one works at treat.

IMG_1687.jpeg

1 Like

We had an outstanding meal here:

The wine list was extremely fairly priced for recent vintage burgundy and German wines (e.g. Keller). Below U.S. retail costs.

We did lunch at Frantzen. It was what you would expect from a 3 star restaurants lots of luxury ingredients.

https://www.restaurantfrantzen.com

1 Like

Wonderful thread, pre-Covid I made annual trips in November for business to Oslo, and would have loved to have stumbled upon these suggestions.

For those that love whisky, I would also recommend Dr. Jekylls Pub which has a huge selection from around the world.

Not Oslo or Stockholm but close enough: what I’ll say is that if anyone can get to the Kviknes hotel in Balestrand–one of the world’s all-time most gorgeous locations–they still have hard-to-believe, dirt-cheap back-vintage Domaine Leflaive on the list. We drank the '02 Batard there a couple years ago and it was off-the-charts, true reference quality White Burg. The view from the terrace made it taste even better.

Robert: With luck, Agrikultur will just be opening when we get there. Is Frantzen special enough to splurge?

Cheers!
Marshall

Frantzen by all means. We had dinner in their old location with seats at the chefs counter. Amazing experience. Haven’t seen their new space but the unique flavors are worth the splurge.