Starting My Own Vineyard

Before you plant anything you may want to talk to some wineries in the area who make Barbera and Chenin Blanc and ask them how easy (or hard) it is to sell those wines.

I have a question for all of you that my professor at UC Davis asked me.

He told me that the US has over 8000 winerys, why do you think it needs another one? He also asked the most important question every new winery has to think about. What makes you different than the other 8000 wineries?

Thoughts?

Demand has nothing to do with the supply of wine. People just want to make wine – market signals be damned. I gather that your professor appreciated that point. But, for growers, you really don’t know if your site has something distinctive to say until you plant it and put a few vintages in bottle. So I don’t think his question is answerable at the outset of the endeavor, and people have non-monetary motivation to roll the dice that their site will turn out to be special.

Wesley - Only you can answer that question. In some ways it’s a rhetorical question that you constantly revisit to evolve your thinking with your customer base in mind.

There are 8900 wineries in the US and only 625 distributors or 1 for 12. In 1995 there were 1900 wineries and 3,000 distributors or 1.4 to 1. If you are just a grower, monetarily the valleys are low and the hills are small. Also what is Plan B if you can’t sell your grapes or the price is too low due to a glut? pileon

In other words, “Who will your customers be?” “Why would they choose your grapes or wine over others, when there are so many options?”

That’s the puzzle to solve.