Starting a collection and going to Napa, which wines can I only get at the vineyard?

Lisa - Tasting season in California is year-round. In normal (non-Covid) times tastings are typically inside, often with a tour of the facility that would be indoor/outdoor. Winters in Napa are very pleasant so no deterrent to visiting. During Covid-times when the tasting rooms have been open it has been for outdoor tasting only. This actually meant that summer was worse for visiting because it can get quite warm. Other than Covid restrictions anytime is a good time to visit Napa.

While everyone is different in the events/education that they appreciate, there is certainly no need to take classes before a tasting trip. You have already demonstrated a keen interest in wine, which is really all that is necessary to gather the kind of information that you would receive at a class. At most any tasting event you’ll be able to ask any questions that you have about the wine and almost everyone you encounter will be happy to answer. One drawback to using a Napa visit as a learning experience is that tasting in Napa has become very expensive. While there are still a small handful of free tasting rooms, tasting fees are more typically $25-$75, which adds up very quickly if you plan to make enough stops to learn very much about the area. I think that you mentioned in one thread that you live in New York. If so, you couldn’t be in a better place for tasting and learning in non-Covid times. New York has loads of great free tastings. When things return to normal, check out the tasting calendars at Chambers Street Wines, Union Square Wine, Flatiron Wine, Astor Wine. They all offer regular free tasting events with a wide range of good wine. There is no better way to learn. Unfortunately, like everything else, things are much more difficult during Covid. Participating here is probably your best bet until the world normalizes.

Wow eric, thank you so much. You even answered questions that I was wondering and didn’t ask and I’m so grateful for that. I know that wine tasting while COVID restrictions are hard and being in ny, so many things with COVID changes on a weekly , sometimes daily basis. I didn’t even know there were free wine tastings!!! Accessing manhattan is still easy for me during COVID but so many things are closed during COVID and i see that wine stores are doing curb service. Long island is a drive out but I’m sure if there are free wine tastings here, during COVID, its probably dont going on. But now you gave me an idea on how to start. And money isnt something that’s unlimited for me so I’m going to approach this beginning with as much savvy ness as possible. Thank You for being welcoming and informative to me , a newbie, because it was hard for me to walk into this venture because for a non wine drinker thrusted into this, it has been hard. I wasn’t sure if I was getting into something that not only will cost me more money to maintain, but that I would be easily discouraged by being overwhelmed by cost and high learning necessity. So thank you again. Really appreciated .

Lisa, being from NY myself if you are on Long island that is an awesome spot to learn quite like I did. Most wineries out there don’t offer free tasting but its a nominal cost and well worth it. Having also been to NAPA and Sonoma I can honestly say there are many LI wineries that are comparable in quality to CA wines. You might also want to look at the Hudson Valley region which is probably a two hour drive for you give or take. This area also offers awesome wines and inexpensive hotels and Airbnb places to stay for a nice weekend. I would strongly suggest you learn the basics in these areas and you will feel accomplished and confident in your knowledge when you visit CA