Stacking Riesling bottles

I have a cart that has shelves tilted back about 10-15 degrees, and I just leave them in their cases on their sides. Prior to, I had some 17x21x8 inch wire baskets that I alternately (i>r/r<l) stacked the bottles in.

300+ awards? From who?

I suspect there’s a wall in the Target Corporate office that looks something like this…

I think german riesling is the best use case for weinboxes. They are long enough that even prestige bottlings - GG, etc fit. And because they are thin, you can often fit 16 in a box. So they hold plenty of riesling in a very solid and efficient way.

I guess the posts above explain why thin bottles are best (they take up less room), but only regions that shipped via rivers could get away without the punts, needed to handle road transport back in the day, that wider bottles need.

1 Like

I selected vintage view racks in the cellar at home at least partly to deal with riesling bottles. In my offsite I stack them by producer, though I’m not really space constrained there for now.

We don’t have much that needs to be stacked, most is in racking, but the Riesling bottles are still problematic because they stick out of the double-deep racking more than normal bottles and larger people walking through the cellar sometimes brush against them to one degree or another.

I don’t mind the bocksbeutel. They are almost exactly the height of our open storage shelves and, because they are thin front-to-back, a number of them fit on a shelf. Plus I really like some of the wines.

Sarah, one possible solution is to put the back bottle in the normal way but turn the front bottle around so the bottom of the bottle is on the end of the rack and the necks are together. That way they don’t stick out. I have to do this with my VinoTemp to use the double depth racks with Riesling bottles.

Yes, it’s an effective solution and we did try it. But Jonathan hated it and insisted that he needed all the necks to be facing out more than he needed never to brush against them. It wasn’t a hill I chose to die on, especially since I fit just fine. :slight_smile:

This is how I deal with it as well. I just have a fear that if I remove a bottle from the row below the front one will slide down causing a cascade and I lose the whole fridge to a pile of broken glass and liquid goodness, other than the one bottle in my hand. Silly fear but there none the less.

Here’s 90 bottles of Julian Haart. What’s the problem :slight_smile:.
6F535371-3F97-46E5-A3A5-17E86B81B0F7.jpeg

Does anyone who uses Weinboxes want to show how you are able to fit 16 bottles in each box, yet still stack them?

I get slats of 1X2 wood and place them under the necks. Allows for great support and stacking.

+1

Its true that they can peek up over the lip. I had stacked them that way for a while, but got nervous. My new approach is to put 12 bottles in and then a layer of 3 or 4 375s. That will fit and let you stack.

When stacking in bins I often put a lap of plastic wrap around them. A bit of an inconvenience, but a huge help when it comes to stopping them from sliding/landslide.

https://www.amazon.com/IDL-Packaging-Bundling-Stretch-Extended/dp/B07TB611K8/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=s0q7eikuzka0jJ.dQe02Dw&hsa_cr_id=2535502240901&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0

I keep a couple of these in the cellar

Great idea! I’ll give that a try. I normally only wrap bottles that I plan on cellaring long term, but riesling bottles are a pain to stack, and I think this may help a bit.

Nice tip…

+3. Never occurred to me to use plastic wrap to solve this problem. Brilliant! [thankyou.gif]