St Laurent - Any Excellent, "Serious" Examples?

Forlorn Hope.

That Meinklang is a pretty good wine for the price. There are a lot of people who say that the grape will never make a top notch wine. I don’t know if that’s true or not but one of the people who told me that was Weninger and he actually made a pretty good one. One of the very best I’ve had was from Reinisch. Also Paul Achs, who is one of my favorite producers did one but his Syrah was even better. There’s a newer producer, Christina, from Austria that was imported by Jenny and Francois at one time, and you could find her St. Laurent around NYC from time to time. It was a bit of a lighter version. Those would be my top picks.

It’s an interesting grape because like Barbera, it can make a dark wine that isn’t overly tannnic, but it has less initial acidity than some Barbera and the flavor profile is different.

There are a few in Hungary but I can’t remember any that were particularly stunning, and it’s also grown increasingly in Germany but I’ve only had one and that was years ago so can’t offer an opinion. When I was in BC I looked for some but there’s very little there. Still it would be kind of interesting to try if you can find any.

Nope. Not what I said.

If you want Excellent Serious Nebbiolo…you should explore Piedmont
If you want Excellent Serious Sangiovese…you should explore Tuscany
If you want Excellent Serious Sparkling Wine…you should explore Champagne
The list goes on and on

There’s no harm trying miscellaneous examples from other places. But if you want to learn about “excellent serious” examples, it’s my opinion that you’re doing yourself a major disservice by not looking at the source of the finest examples of the particular wines you’re interested in. St. Laurent included.

RT

1 Like

Mexico.

The future of Nebbiolo.

Sometimes blended with Cabernet Sauvignon and/or Syrah and/or Tempranillo.

Nate, as far as I know Forlorn Hope no longer makes St. Laurent. See my post above - I think March Wines took over that block of SL at Ricci Vineyard. And if anything, I like the early March St. Laurent wines even more than the Forlorn Hope ones, which were very good.

1 Like

Speak of the devil. Currently enjoying a 2014 Meinklang Konkret Saint Laurent (opened last night for dinner). Very nice expression.

RT

Thanks for clarifying that, Richard. I understand, I think. But it still seems to me you’re saying the best examples of StLaurent come from Burgenland. But originally seemed to question why bother to explore other areas for StLaurent.
Tom

If you’re playing the odds…my bet is that the most “excellent serious” examples of St. Laurent ARE from Austria. That’s not to say that California’s examples are without merit. If you want to “understand” or gain an appreciation for St. Laurent, you should look to the source and explore it…then make your own decisions about other examples from other places.

Malbec is an interesting twist. Some might argue that Argentina has become the pinnacle of excellent serious versions. Again, I think you’re doing yourself a disservice if you don’t look back to France, Cahors as part of a serious exploration.

RT

2 Likes

OK, Richard… I get your point now. If I was interested in just drinking a great StLaurent, Burgenland would be my go-to as well. But my curiosity would lead me to try that CO StLaurent over a RosiSchuster almost every time… given that choice.
Tom

++ for Pittnauer!

OK, Jonathan…here you are:

Tom

Not a lot of experience here with St. Laurent, but I had a 2008 from Hum Hofer a few months ago that was still drinking quite nicely. Picked it up on a closeout for $12, thinking what the heck, but it exceeded my expectations.