Spectrum Wine Auctions

Something seems off there. I’m on the east coast and Spectrum has always had very decent shipping rates for me. Like $40/case and they don’t charge shipping for added retail bottles as I mentioned above.

1 Like

I’ve had some luck with Spectrum, but it is hit and miss for a bottom-feeder like myself. I did manage to pick up almost 3 cases of 2014 - 2016 Bedrock wines for less than release price (after 21% premium!). But yeah, there are many lots that have very high reserve that languish for months without a change in pricing. Also some ridiculous lots like 10 year old Meiomi for $20/bottle before buyer’s premium.

Thanks for this reply. I got notice of shipping today and have emailed them (again) for clarification. I will report back here on the resolution of this issue.

I definitely see things that must be distributor stock. Things under Normande and Florisando cellars have gotta be. I don’t know that they buy cellars but rather consign them. My best friend lives around the corner and we’ve sold a few things through them

I sent them a list of wines for auction and they made a cash offer…

Interesting

I have used them to sell wine and to purchase wine. Nothing but the best service. Never had a problem.

What are their terms for you to sell wine? Cash? Consignment? What is their fee?

Thanks

I used their storage facility in Santa Ana briefly. It seemed like a well-run and respectable operation. The retail selection was really good too.

I have used them to sell wine for me. I have bought from their auction and retail sites. Every experience I have had has been very good.

Announcement from Spectrum today…

Good Afternoon,

We are emailing today to apprise you of updates to our auction Terms of Sale as well as to encourage you to take a moment to familiarize yourself with them in their entirety.

2022 Terms of Sale Update: We made changes to reflect an updated buyer’s premium for all auctions (22%, $10 minimum). View Terms of Sale here.

This update will go into effect January 07, 2022. As always, bidders will be prompted to review, agree to, and electronically sign the auction’s Terms of Sales prior to bidding each week.

Thank you

Thanks for this. I have yet to receive this email. That $10 minimum seems extreme. So for single bottle lots of $50 wine they are charging $10? Are they telling people don’t bring your under $100 wines to our auctions?

Winebid looks even more attractive.

$50 x 22% is $11. Under $45.

I disagree. Spectrum works better for me. Much better shipping prices, better customer service, easier to search for things I want. Better pictures.

The math above is not quite right.

It was previously $5 minimum and 20% premium so there was an excess charge for lots under $25

Now it’s an excess charge on lots under $41 (50/1.22)

How do you get $41? $41 x 22% is $9.02. $45 x 22% $9.90. Only at $46 do you cover the min

As a buyer, I don’t care about the percentage premium because I factor it into my bid. I don’t care about the minimum because I’ve never bid for anything not worthy of ~$100+. At less than $50 I can just buy retail. Sellers who consign items with them should be up in arms though.

Spectrum’s website is poopie, they have at least a 5% higher buyer’s premium than Winebid and that minimum, ouch.

1 Like

Sucks for me. I like to grab random older singles I can pick up in person others won’t take a chance on because not worth shipping them. Picked up a 96 Ravenswood Old Hill for $25 plus tax and bp a month ago. Will be less of those

2 Likes